Chapter 46: Goodbye

"The memory I wanna forget, is goodbye." - Miley Cyrus

Sasha

"Goodbye, Luke." Those were the hardest words I had ever said.

I wish I didn't have to say them. I hated that I still wanted him, I still wanted to stay.

He knew me better than anyone else did. He had seen me get hurt by him but also by other people, and I thought it wouldn't make him feel any different toward me. But does he really care if I get hurt?

Maybe he does. But it doesn't matter anymore, we don't belong together. Knowing that someone doesn't care about you is the worst thing to ever know. Especially if you thought you meant something to them. I knew it. From the very beginning when I first met him, that I would end up like this. I've been hurt, which is why I can't trust. I don't.

Luke Kendrick is a lie. A cheat.

You're only saying that because you're trying to hate him like you did when you first met him.

Shut up.

Can somebody tell me why I don't want to leave? Why I want to stay with him? Hold him?

All my life, I have dreamed of meeting a guy just like Luke. Minus all the trouble he's put me through, but when I first found out that he was in love with me, I pictured a future where we would be together.

We would have kids and grow old together. I thought that was us. I dreamed for so long too much, which I guess made me trust in him.

There was a long moment of silence as me and Luke look into each other's eyes for the very last time.

It was much easier when I let myself hide from the world than to open up to the world. I didn't have to worry about getting hurt from people that I cared about.

As I stare at him, I can almost hear him begging me to stay. To not leave, to not make this the last goodbye.

Losing my father made me think hiding from the world was better than letting people into my life to hurt me. Losing my mother made me think otherwise. I began to trust people more because I knew I had lost everything. I had to trust people so I wouldn't be left alone in this world.

His eyes were red and they were beginning to tear up.

He didn't make a move as I backed up to widen the distance between us and he couldn't touch me.

Even that was hard.

I hugged my friends goodbye one by one before climbing into the car with Jesse.

It was even hard to not look at Luke one more time.

This was officially the worst day of my life.

Jesse hopped in after I did, put the key into the ignition and started his car. The car still smelled a lot like my mom, and it reminded me of all the good times me and her had in this car. If she were still alive, I don't think she'd let me leave. Or at least, without her.

She would most likely kick Luke out of the house. No, wait. She wouldn't have let Katherine stay at our house, I know my mother would never do that to me. After she'd kick Luke out of the house, she would let me use her shoulder to cry on and made sure that I would be okay.

But for my dad, let's just say he would talk to Luke and figure out why he did what he did to hurt me. Then, he'd tell him to leave me alone for about a couple weeks and dad would make sure that I'd be happy again.

Whether it was with or without Luke.

Dad?

Mom?