Chapter 10: Memories

"No, I can't lift the weight." - Shawn Mendes

I called Danielle with the hospital's phone and told her I wasn't feeling well so I wouldn't be able to come in on Friday and Saturday to work.

The doctors kept forcing me to eat something and they would always put sedative into me whenever I lost control. Lose control as in screaming because of the situation I was in or trying to set myself free from this building.

Neither Luke or Paula had come to visit me yet, which meant that they didn't know. I was missing a whole week of school.

When Friday arrived, the door to my hospital room opened and Paula and Robert walked in. "Oh, my goodness, honey! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I lied.

"Rob said that you ran into a pole," she gasped.

I snickered. "Yeah, it's no big deal."

I ran into a pole. That's very funny, Robert.

"Where's Luke?" I asked.

"He's probably at school," Paula replied.

Robert smiled at me like he was the best father I could ask for. I rolled my eyes and closed them, hoping, once I opened them again, he would be gone. But nope, he was on the other side of my bed when I fluttered them open.

"You can take her home tonight, but don't let her go to school. Let her rest in bed and give her proper food for her to eat. In two weeks, we should be able to take that cast off her neck," the doctor rambled on to Paula.

That night, I cried. Really cried. I hadn't cried this much since my father left. The kind of cry you can't stop. It creates a tide of tears and pulls you down. Pulls you under. They sob out the tears that grumbled up my throat, making my whole body shake. I had lost my father. Now I was about to lose myself. I cried alone in this stinking living room. I cried until I felt empty inside. Completely numb. I couldn't even feel the pain in my leg or jaw. I couldn't hold it together anymore. I just had to let it out and try to let go to see where it would take me.

It was official. I was destroyed.

Luke never came to visit me. I don't know why I expected him to. I don't understand why one minute I thought he was falling for me and then he goes out of his way to ignore me completely.

But I had no proof that he was. So why did I feel so lost and alone? So isolated and weak? Friendless? Devitalized? Disintegrated?

The following morning, when I opened my eyes, I was feeling fractured.

"Sasha?" Paula's soft voice was heard beside me.

I glanced up to see Paula holding out an envelope.

"Is that for me?" I asked grudgingly.

"Yes." She nodded.

"What is it?" I grumbled as I tried to sit up.

"I don't know. Open it and find out." She dropped the light package on my lap and headed back into the kitchen. I let out a bulky breath and tore the package open. I slithered out a folded sheet of paper and uncreased it.

Dear Sasha,

I wish I could've told you this in person, but the doctors wouldn't let me see you. Me and my family had to move back to LA because of my father's job. And no, as far as I know, we're not coming back. I'm so sorry, Sasha. I really am. I promise you one day we'll run away from this crushing world together and find a new one. But for now, I want you to hold on tight and wait for me. I'm coming for you, even if the world stops turning.