Chapter 36 - The Best Way

Part of me really wants Brittany to stay because I can't stand the thought of a year without her. The six of us have bee inseparable since we were kids. In a larger perspective though, we are bound to be separated next fall for college anyways. There's a very small chance of us all picking the same one or even being accepted to the same ones. But it's not like we will never see each other again or that we'll be out of touch.

After the party and after everything is cleaned up, I go home to take a shower and wash off all of the sand and salt. As soon as I finish, jump into my bed, and turn on the TV, my phone vibrates on the nightstand.

Brittany: I think we need a serious talk

Emma: agreed

Me: my place in an hour?

Ava: let me ask

Cristina: I can do that

Ari: works for me

Me: Britt?

Brittany: yeah, that's fine

Ava: mom says yes

Me: see you guys

I turn the TV back off because there's really no point in leaving it on now. I go downstairs to make sure it's okay with my mom that everyone's coming over. I find her in the living room drinking a cup of coffee and reading a magazine.

"Hey mom, is it cool if all the girls come over?" I ask.

"Don't you think it's a little late? You even have your pajamas on already," she points out.

"Yeah, but it's important," I add.

"Alright, just don't make too much noise. Your father is already in bed," she says.

"Awesome, thanks," I say just before going back upstairs to my room. I already know that Brittany wants our input on what she should do. I know if I was in her place that I wouldn't know what to do. After twenty minutes, I hear a knock on the door and quickly run downstairs to get it.

"Hey," Brittany says as soon as I open it. "Is it okay that I came early?"

"Of course! If you want you can set up in my room," I suggest.

"Yeah, that'd be great," she says as she begins to drag her stuff up the stairs. She looks really stressed, much different than she did at the party just hours ago.

"Is everything okay?" I ask. She takes a deep breath before answering.

"I don't know what to do at all. My mom says that I should go, but my dad wants me to stay. They keep arguing over "what's best for me" and I don't know who's right and who's wrong," she explains.

"Well what do you want to do? It's not what they think that matters, it's what you think," I assure her.

"I have no idea, that's the thing. I want to know what you all think," she says. "I really want to go, but then I really don't. It's complicated." I'm sure it's even more complicated than what she is saying it is. Soon enough, everyone is here and set up throughout my room.

"So here's my problem," Brittany starts. "I want to go. I'm done with high school. Believe me, I am so done with high school and there's not much more for me to learn here anyways. I've basically done it all. But senior year is supposed to be a year to remember. Our last homecoming, senior prom, and all of the other things that make up senior year. But then there's also testing, SO much testing, and stress from college applications and not knowing where I'll get in. They can't promise me that the offer will still stand for next fall. Not to mention that I can't even remember a time that I wasn't with you guys for an extended period of time," she says and looks to each of us expectantly for any advice.