Severus and Lily

July 31, 1975

On the banks of a serene lake, LILY and SEVERUS lay side by side on the grass, staring up the willowy tree branches drifting lazily in the warm summer afternoon.

LILY: So are you finally gonna tell me?

SEVERUS: (innocently) Tell you what?

LILY: (playfully shoving him) Come on. I'm not gonna judge- if you didn't get it it's not that big of a deal- no one really cares about it-

SEVERUS: Oh, yeah? It sounds like you care quite a bit.

LILY: Well- I mean- I'm just saying that if it didn't come for you-

SEVERUS: Oh, Lily. You never have any faith in me. (He reaches into his pocket, pulls out a shiny badge, and tosses it over to her).

LILY: (catching the badge and gasping) You did get it! Why didn't you tell me?

SEVERUS: (smiling) Like you said, it's not that big of a deal.

LILY: (sitting up on the grass) Do you know who got the other one for Slytherin?

SEVERUS: Simone Greengrass. Rachel's younger sister.

LILY: That oughta be fun.

SEVERUS: Yeah, yeah. What about you? Who's gonna be your partner-in-crime?

LILY: (taking out her own Prefect badge and comparing the two together) Haven't the faintest. Could be anyone.

SEVERUS: Bet it was Potter.

LILY: Is that a joke? They would never make him Prefect. And if they did, I'd quit.

SEVERUS: (laughing) No, you wouldn't.

LILY: (smiling) Whatever. As long as it's not him or Sirius Black, then I'm sure I'll be fine.

SEVERUS: Wonder who got Head Boy and Girl. They'll be in charge of us, you know.

LILY: Everything'll be fine. Come on, we're Hogwarts Prefects! We're gonna rule the school this year.

SEVERUS: It'd be better if we were in the same House.

LILY: I know. I still wish we were. But it'll still be fun.

SEVERUS: (taking back his badge and glancing at it in the bright sunlight) When are you gonna go to Diagon Alley?

LILY: I don't know. Probably next week. You?

SEVERUS: Same. I'll see you there.

LILY: Unfortunately.

SEVERUS smiles and playfully shoves LILY, who laughs and throws herself back on the ground next to him.