The Slug Club VI

April 7, 1976

In HORACE'S office, the ritual of lavish dinner parties attended by a select group of students is underway. By the food area, LILY and REMUS stand chatting quietly. At the entrance, EMMA and SEVERUS enter, each wearing black dress robes.

EMMA: God, I really need to stop going to these things.

SEVERUS: Oh, come on. It's an honor to be invited.

EMMA: Maybe at first. But after a couple years of this nonsense, it gets kind of old. Besides, I've got more important things to be doing.

SEVERUS: Like what? If anyone has an excuse to not be here it's me. O.W.L.s are pretty close.

EMMA: N.E.W.T.s aren't too much easier, buddy.

SEVERUS: So what else requires the presence of the ever-vigilant Emma Vanity? And where's Rosier, anyway?

EMMA: He- couldn't come. Just- come over here.

EMMA drags SEVERUS behind a set of green drapes, grabbing a couple glasses of wine on the way.

EMMA: (handing SEVERUS a glass) All right. Are you ready to keep your mouth shut?

SEVERUS: About?

EMMA: Apparently, there's another Ministry break-in planned. Soon. In the Department of Mysteries.

SEVERUS: (skeptically) The Department of Mysteries? Haven't they already tried that?

EMMA: Yes, but it's going to be bigger. And successful, this time.

SEVERUS: Wait a minute. Tell me this is why they placed Rookwood in that Department.

EMMA: Exactly. They needed an inside man to get in.

SEVERUS: What on earth does the Dark Lord want in there?

EMMA: God only knows. But we're going. Rosier and I.

SEVERUS: (astounded) What?

EMMA: We have to! We must choose a side. And we both know that if we don't completely support You-Know-Who now, he'll kill us all.

SEVERUS: There is no way you're going to fight against the Aurors in the Department of Mysteries, of all places! What kind of rubbish plan is this? What are you going to do, hop on a broomstick and fly to London?

EMMA: That- that was the plan, yes.

SEVERUS: If you get caught-

EMMA: Evan and I are already almost done with Hogwarts. And neither of us care about N.E.W.T.s very much anyway. If we go down, it'll be for what we believe in.

SEVERUS: Which is what, exactly?

EMMA: The promotion of blood purity. Keeping magical abilities to those who deserve it. And the preservation of our way of life, of course.

SEVERUS: Is this why you wanted to learn those curses? For this?

EMMA: I told you I needed to be prepared. And I thank you for helping me. But this is the path that I choose. Evan and I will follow it together.

SEVERUS: (hesitating) You love him, don't you?

EMMA sips from her glass of wine, then places a consoling hand on SEVERUS'S shoulder.

EMMA: When you're a little older, you'll understand. You'll follow in my footsteps, and I will be there when you do. But love- it's a very complicated thing. And when love is true, there's nothing that can break it.

EMMA finishes her glass of wine, then quietly exits the party. SEVERUS steps out into the room, and quietly glances at LILY, who catches his eye and smiles at him. Returning her gaze, and with EMMA'S last words repeated in his head, SEVERUS exits the party as well.