You've Chosen Your Way

May 2, 1976

In the Gryffindor common room, it is late at night. LILY wears a dressing gown and sits in one of the cushy armchairs by the fire, wearing a tired expression. MARLENE clutches two cups of tea and approaches her.

MARLENE: Here. Take this, you'll feel better.

LILY: Thanks. (She takes the tea and sips it).

MARLENE: That was pretty intense, what happened down there.

LILY: Yeah, I know. I just- I can't believe he would say that.

MARLENE: I completely understand. I mean, my parents taught me never to use that word- they said it was one of the foulest in any language. I can't even begin to comprehend how offensive it can be to you.

LILY: (nodding) It just takes me back to when we first got here. Remember, when I was so nervous about being Muggle-born that I thought everyone would end up doing better than me?

MARLENE: (smiling) And look where we turned up! Lily Evans, the smartest girl in our grade, Prefect, and kindest person I've ever known.

LILY tries to smile, but begins to lightly cry. MARLENE stands up and helps LILY to her feet.

MARLENE: (hugging her) Come on, now. It's going to be okay. Just put it out of your mind. They could throw a thousand insults at you, and you'll still be worth more than all of them put together.

LILY dries her eyes, while MARY enters the common room, looking flustered.

MARLENE: Hey, Mary. What's up with you? You look like you've seen a ghost.

MARY: It's that Snape kid. He's outside, he says he wants to see Lily.

MARLENE: Oh, Merlin. You don't have to talk to him, Lily. You don't owe him anything. Do you want me to go get rid of him?

MARY: He's threatening to spend all night in front of the Fat Lady's portrait.

MARLENE: The nerve of him! Honestly, I'll never understand why you were ever friends with that creep, Lily. Let me go tell him off-

LILY: No. No, I'll go see him.

MARLENE: Lily, I really think it's best if you don't-

LILY: I have to get closure on this. I'll hear what he has to say. But I don't think I'll be able to forgive him.

MARLENE and MARY share a nervous glance, while LILY makes her way out of the portrait hole. She steps into the corridor to find SEVERUS sitting down against the wall. He quickly gets up to his feet.

SEVERUS: I'm sorry.

LILY: I'm not interested.

SEVERUS: I'm sorry!

LILY: Save your breath. I only came out because Mary told me you were threatening to sleep here.

SEVERUS: I was. I would have done. I never meant to call you Mudblood, it just –

LILY: Slipped out? It's too late. I've made excuses for you for years. None of my friends can understand why I even talk to you. You and your precious little Death Eater friends – you see, you don't even deny it! You don't even deny that's what you're all aiming to be! You can't wait to join You-Know-Who, can you?

SEVERUS opens his mouth to respond, but remains silent.

LILY: I can't pretend anymore. You've chosen your way, I've chosen mine.

SEVERUS: No– listen, I didn't mean–

LILY: –to call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. Why should I be any different?

LILY steps back through the portrait hole, leaving SEVERUS saddened and alone.