We're On Different Paths

January 28, 1976

In a darkened corridor, LILY and SEVERUS sit under an archway, the light of the night stars illuminated above.

SEVERUS: We haven't talked in a while.

LILY: We've both been busy, Sev. With Prefects and O.W.L.s and everything.

SEVERUS: But I thought we were supposed to be friends? Best friends?

LILY: We are, Sev, but I don't like some of the people you're hanging around with!

SEVERUS: What people?

LILY: You know who I'm talking about. Rosier and that Emma Vanity and- I'm sorry, but I detest Avery and Mulciber! Mulciber! What do you see in him, Sev, he's creepy! D'you know what he tried to do to Mary MacDonald the other day?

SEVERUS: That was nothing. It was a laugh, that's all. Besides, that girl's fine-

LILY: It was Dark Magic, and if you think that's funny-

SEVERUS: What about the stuff Potter and his mates get up to?

LILY: What's Potter got to do with anything?

SEVERUS: They sneak out at night. There's something weird about that Lupin. Where does he keep going

LILY: He's ill. They say he's ill.

SEVERUS: Every month at the full moon?

LILY: (coldly) I know your theory. Why are you so obsessed with them anyway? Why do you care what they're doing at night?

SEVERUS: I'm just trying to show you they're not as wonderful as everyone seems to think they are

LILY: They don't use Dark Magic, though. And you're being really ungrateful. I heard what happened the other night. You went sneaking down that tunnel by the Whomping Willow, and James Potter saved you from whatever's down there.

SEVERUS: (incredulously) Saved? Saved? You think he was playing the hero? He was saving his neck and his friends' too! You're not going to – I won't let you –

LILY: (furiously) Let me? Let me?

SEVERUS: (at a loss for words) I didn't mean – I just don't want to see you made a fool of – He fancies you, James Potter fancies you! And he's not...everyone thinks...big Quidditch hero-

LILY: I know James Potter's an arrogant toerag. I don't need you to tell me that. But Mulciber's and Avery's idea of humor is just evil. Evil, Sev. I don't understand how you can be friends with them. I've told you this before.

SEVERUS: It's not that big of a deal. Trust me.

LILY: You know where they're going to end up, Sev. Is that where you want to go, too?

SEVERUS: Of course not- I-

LILY: We're on different paths right now. And you have to choose the right from the wrong.

LILY quietly walks away, leaving SEVERUS alone.