The Dark Arts

October 31, 1975

The door to the Room of Requirement opens, and SEVERUS quietly enters. Inside, EMMA and REGULUS are already duelling each other.

REGULUS: Try it again.

EMMA: Stupefy!

Immediately, REGULUS goes still and falls to the ground, fully hit with the Stunning Spell.

EMMA: Ha! I did it!

SEVERUS: (pointing his wand at REGULUS) Finite Incantatem. Happy Halloween, everyone.

EMMA: Where have you been?

SEVERUS: Fifth-year keeps you busy. You of all people should know that, Vanity.

EMMA: All too well.

SEVERUS: Anyway, luck's not in my favor today. I think I've lost my Potions textbook-

EMMA: (concentrating on her wand movements) Where on earth could that have that gone?

SEVERUS: Not sure. Probably just left it in the Potions classroom or something. Anyway, I take it you two are over the heavy loss from a couple weeks ago?

REGULUS: (standing up) We've been training harder.

EMMA: We'll come back from it. We always do.

SEVERUS: Well, I hope the carnage is over. What have you two been working on?

EMMA: Stunning and DisArming.

SEVERUS: (laughing) Child's play! Let's start something more dangerous, shall we?

EMMA: What exactly do you have in mind, Snape.

SEVERUS: (pointing his wand at EMMA) The Imperius Curse, perhaps.

EMMA: You wouldn't dare-

SEVERUS: Imperio!

Immediately, EMMA slaps herself in the face.

EMMA: (shocked) Snape! What in Merlin is wrong with you? (she takes out her own wand) Imperio!

SEVERUS stands still, not affecting by EMMA'S curse.

SEVERUS: (smiling) Unforgivable Curses aren't the easiest to master. You have to mean them, Emma. You have to really want it.

EMMA: (angrily) Oh, I do, believe me.

SEVERUS: Relax, it was just a little slap. It could've been much worse. Why don't you try on Regulus? He'll be an easier target for you.

REGULUS: Hey!

SEVERUS: Just kidding.

EMMA: (pointing her wand at REGULUS) Imperio!

REGULUS stands still for a moment, before attempting a cartwheel and falling down.

SEVERUS: That was close.

EMMA: Barely. I meant for him to do a somersault.

SEVERUS: (laughing) Well, try it again. You okay, Reg?

REGULUS: (brushing himself off) Yeah, yeah.

SEVERUS: Go ahead, Vanity.

EMMA: (confidently) Imperio!