War Is Not The Answer

March 9, 1976

In Malfoy Manor, LUCIUS is seated at the dining table. NARCISSA enters, carrying a large bowl of vegetables and sitting down across from him.

NARCISSA: All right. Dinner is served, Master Malfoy.

LUCIUS: It looks lovely. But you know, this would be easier if we had a house elf.

NARCISSA: I don't mind. Cooking has always been a favorite hobby of mine, and it's even better when my mother isn't nagging me over my shoulder every five minutes.

LUCIUS: (raising his glass) A toast to your many hidden talents, Madame Malfoy.

NARCISSA: (smiling) I'll drink to that.

Their plates begin to magically fill themselves.

NARCISSA: So. What's new with my sister?

LUCIUS: Nothing to speak of.

NARCISSA: Really? Because there's talk in the streets of another Ministry break-in.

LUCIUS: Just standard procedures, my dear. Who did you hear that from, anyone?

NARCISSA: From the horse's mouth, Madame Lestrange herself.

LUCIUS: It's complicated, Narcissa.

NARCISSA: I want to come with you.

LUCIUS: Absolutely not.

NARCISSA: Lucius, come on. I need to be by your side for this-

LUCIUS: (laughing) It goes against your whole stay-in-the-shadows plan! You said you wanted to put up a clean, public facade-

NARCISSA: It's not a facade, it's just a way for us to avoid Azkaban! But as time goes on, I'm starting to realize that we won't have a choice down the road.

LUCIUS: Which means?

NARCISSA: If we're going to support the Dark Lord, then we must do it together. I'm coming with you wherever you go.

LUCIUS: This is a new side of you. I never thought you would embrace war like this.

NARCISSA: War is not the answer, Lucius. And I tried my best to avoid it. But it seems inevitable at this point.

LUCIUS: And what happens in the worst-case scenario? If we do get sent to Azkaban?

NARCISSA: (hesitating) We'll say we were both under the Imperius Curse.

LUCIUS: (smiling) You think that'll work?

NARCISSA: If we donate enough money, it will. I swear- maybe there was a chance that we both could have built a life away from the Death Eaters. But with my sister, and the rest of my family, and now you-

LUCIUS: (taking NARCISSA'S hand across the table) We'll get through this. Together. You and I.

NARCISSA: I know we will.