The Slytherin Tradition

September 1, 1975

In the Slytherin common room, the annual party held on the first night at Hogwarts is regarded as a ritual by the entire House, and is reaching its apex as midnight approaches. Fast-paced music continues to sound throughout the room. At the center, a clearing has been formed which serves as a dancefloor while several bottles of firewhiskey are being served on tables by the window.

SEVERUS: (magically opening another bottle) Feels so good to be able to use magic again.

REGULUS: I know. My cousins kept making me do chores by hand over the summer even when they could easily do it by magic.

SEVERUS: People suck.

EMMA: (approaching them from the dancefloor) What's up, new friends?

SEVERUS: Just enjoying our last night of freedom.

EMMA: I'll drink to that. Hit me up, barkeep.

SEVERUS swiftly pours two shots of firewhiskey, and he and EMMA simultaneously drink them before giving each other a high-five.

REGULUS: Wait a minute, aren't you two Prefects? Shouldn't you be shutting this down?

EMMA: Oh, let the kids have their fun.

SEVERUS: I guess you could say we're bad influences.

EMMA: All the younger kids are in bed already, and it's the first night at the Castle- it's a Slytherin tradition. I'll start with the Prefect duties in the morning.

SEVERUS: I've certainly got a lot to learn from you.

REGULUS: Anyway, when are Quidditch tryouts?

EMMA: Oh, umm- I think in a couple weeks? I'll talk to Madame Hooch to see when the pitch will be open.

REGULUS: Okay.

EMMA: We can go practice this weekend if you want. I'll sign out the trunk with the playing balls in it-

REGULUS opens his mouth to respond, but EMMA is quickly dragged back onto the dancefloor by her friends.

REGULUS: She's really nice.

SEVERUS: Yeah, yeah. We'll see how she turns out.

On the dancefloor, EMMA unhands herself from ROSIER.

EMMA: Do you mind? I was talking to people!

ROSIER: Oh, come on. Dance with me.

ROSIER spins EMMA around, and she begins to laugh.

EMMA: You know you can't just take me whenever you want.

ROSIER: Oh? And why not?

EMMA: Because I'm not your property, Evan. I'm much, much more than that.

Suddenly, the door to the common room barges open, revealing a haggard-looking HORACE wearing striped pajamas. Quickly, the students begin to magically vanish the firewhiskey.

HORACE: Every year! Every single year I have to shut down this party, and it only continues to get more out of hand! Off to bed, all of you! And turn that wretched music off!