The Beech Tree

May 16, 1976

Under the long, green branches of the beech tree, the Marauders, LILY, MARLENE, and MARY all lay about haphazardly at the shores of the lake.

MARLENE: This is the most relieved I've ever felt in my life.

SIRIUS: I hear you. I'm never taking another exam in my entire life. I feel like I haven't slept in a week.

LILY: (resting her eyes) I actually haven't slept in a week.

REMUS: (laughing) Neither have I.

The group of friends laugh together, while the sun manages to shine through the hanging branches.

JAMES: How about that Ministry break-in a couple weeks, ago? The nerve of those slimy gits.

SIRIUS: (magically levitating a leaf above his head) I bet you my cousin was one of them.

JAMES: Yeah, well. It's a good thing you left them, Sirius.

SIRIUS: I believe you.

MARY: I'm bored. Lily, can I braid your hair?

LILY: (still with her eyes closed) Be my guest.

SIRIUS: Want to braid mine next?

MARY: Let me think about that. No.

JAMES laughs as he takes out his Golden Snitch and begins to repeatedly let it fly and catch it again. PETER watches him admirably and cheers him on.

LILY: Potter, I swear to Merlin, if you're playing with that stupid Snitch again, I'm gonna summon a Bludger over here to knock your head off.

JAMES: Come on, school's out! Can't you let me have a little fun?

LILY: No.

MARLENE: Oh, Evans. Stop being such a downer.

LILY: I just had to take ten O.W.L. examinations! I think I'm entitled to a little crabiness.

MARLENE: We're all the same boat. Get over it! (She playfully nudges LILY in the shoulder before standing and sitting next to JAMES) I'll play a rudimentary Quidditch game with you, Potter.

SIRIUS: I'm in.

MARLENE: But you suck at Quidditch.

SIRIUS laughs as he, JAMES, and MARLENE begin to catch the Snitch as it flies between them. LILY shakes her head as MARY continues to braid her hair, while REMUS and PETER stare pensively over the lake's glistening surface.