Chapter18

"Okay, target practice."

He hands me the crossbow and points to the target at the opposite side of the wall. Right now, we are in the living room, we had pushed the couches and coffee table back and he hung a target on the wall.

"I thought were supposed to access my powers now?" I questioned him. It had been three days since the incident in the infirmary had happened. And Elder and R hadn't said anything about it since.

"When I first got here you said we'd have to wait to train with my powers until I access them - I accessed them."

He shook his head. "Not fully."

"But I did."

He sighed. Sliding his hand down his face, causing a few dark strains of hair to fall against his forehead.

"What if it happens again? What if i send people ten feet flying again? Or break their hand?" Like i did you. "I need to control this."

He sighed again. His hand was fine only minutes after I had broken it - in four different places.

"I know, I know. But, we can't try to force you to control something youve only had a glimpse of. You weren't supposed to access your powers until you fought Aphrodite, Nev."

"Trying to get you to control and show that onr out of five of power you have right now could kill you. That, in the infirmary could've killed you. And im not risking it- and neither are you. So it's back to training you physically until then." He was firm, no room to argue or protest.

I sighed. He was right.

"Target practice," he repeated, offering the crossbow again.

I took the crossbow from him and look at the target. "What if I miss?"

He takes a moment to think then smirks. "Every time you make it, I get a kiss. Every time I make it, I get a kiss." Doesnt that sound fair, I mentally rolled my eyes.

I fake think for a moment. "Hmm, I don't know. I've heard my kisses could be very addicting." I played along.

He smiles, a teasing smile. "Then let's find out."

I pointothrget and shot, the arrow sticks into the wall, right next to the actual target. I frown at my work and he took the arrow out of the wall placing it on the counter in the gym.

"Try again."

I do as I'm told and miss again.

Honestly, I'm not trying. Not that I don't want to, I'm just not wholeheartedly focusing on shooting the arrow. I've shot both bow and arrow and crossbow before and was pretty good.

"Actually focus, Nev." Oof, I'm not that good at hiding it then.

This time, I do focus, and push the trigger with my finger, feeling the same slight tug backward as before.

"Did I make it?" Right, when I had pulled the trigger I had closed my eyes.

"You tell me."

I open my eyes, slowly, bracing myself- in case of another "fail" no, I hit it, right in the middle; bullseye.

"Yes!" I mentally pat myself on the back and turn to R, who looks like he's just won the lottery.

He takes the bow from me and pats his finger to his lips, "my kiss."

I ignored him and walked towards the counter where some equipment, weapons, waters, and towels laid, taking a water from the fridge beside the counter and hopping on the countertop, letting my feet dangle.