Chapter 26

"What did Aspen mean, when she said 'she has th-' and then you cut her off?" IR after unpacking my bags.

R owned a house not too far from the Academy, away from neighborhoods and town. It was nice, a modern house with a master bedroom and bath, living room, and kitchen, and a guest room (which R had turned into an office). In the back was a patio with an ungrounded pool.

"Have I ever told you how cute you are?" He ruffles my hair, his dimples showing.

"You're changing the subject." I point out, flatting my hair.

"No, I'm not." He shakes his head, leaning on the counter.

"You are," I said, putting the Pepsi in the icebox and leaning on the icebox door. The house was already stocked with food!

He pursesd his lips. "It doesn't matter."

"It does."

"It doesn't."

"It does."

"It doesn't."

"It does and deal with it." He rolls his eyes at my remark but walks towards me, placing his hands on either one of my hips.

"Nev, when it matters, I'll tell you. But it doesn't right now, okay?"

I sigh and look down, he wins. I hate losing. "Fine." But he wins.

He smiles and brushes the hair out of my face, his thumb running over my cheekbones, my nose, and my lips, specifically my bottom lip, lingering there for longer than needed before kissing me, gently. Not like the others, that was a kiss for hunger or to see what it felt like. But this one, this one is full of passion. One that sends the weird feeling at the bottom of my stomach, one that I had pushed out for years and blocked out. One that is now resurfaced and sending the feeling erupting inside.

Butterflies. 

I kissed him back with the same amount of passion, keeping it slow and savoring and standing on my toes so he doesn't have to lean down any longer.

He pulled me closer like I'd disappear if he doesn't, and I like it. I wrapped my arms around his neck, keeping my balance, stand on my toes, and him just as close.

I hummed into the kiss which made him smile against my lips, only making the butterflies erupt into fits of flutters.

He pulls away, gently, resting his nose on mine like he did before.

"You remember yesterday when you asked me that question?" He asks, his voice soft and calming.

"I ask a lot of questions, be specific." I laugh.

"When you asked what are you to me."

I nod my head and he smiles at me, pulling away slightly and brushing the hair out of my face before tucking it behind my ear.

"One day I'll say mine."

Technically speaking, he already has called me 'mine' multiple times. But I don't want to ruin the moment, so instead, I kiss him on his cheek. "One day."

But of course, I kept quiet.

    "Listen, Aspen, I don't care that you don't like me, kay? I just want to know, especially if I'm involved."

The next day Aspen came over for a 'meeting' but came thirty minutes early, so now we're in the meeting room and I'm trying to get out what she was about to say before R cut her off.

"I can't tell you, even if I wanted to."

"Why not?!?"

"The council doesn't want you knowing and neither does Red."