Chapter 16: Road to Recovery

It has been only hours since Jack had died and Ethan had rode off to his own thoughts. It has been silent between the group, no one has spoken or looked at each other until now. (Y/n) looked up at Tyler who had his head tight in his fingers looking to the ground.

     "Tyler? When do you think Ethan will be back? He has been gone ever since we got back to the camp..." she asked him earning his full attention. When he raised his head to show is sad yet angry looking feature even when Mark raised his head from the ground he too had the same look. She didn't blame them for having it, she too has felt the sting of losing those she loved and now after making a new friend she loses them right from under her again. 

     "He will be back sometime tonight, we never know for sure where he is and how long he will be out there it all depends on how he reacts to the situation..." Tyler's voice cracked before he lowered his head back to the ground and ran his dirty fingers through his greasy curls.

     "He will be back, he doesn't go far, he never does...." Mark whispered looking to the sky where the sun was heading to the ground below, the glare of the beaming light shone in his brown eyes as he watched the sky.

     "I wish Jack was here," (Y/n) mumbled looking to the sky seeing the bright sun gleaming at them.

     "I know, he would love this," Mark replied and sighed to himself before he turned his head back to the remaining group remembers by the fire. "I'm headin' to bed," he sighed out before making his way across the dirt to his bed. (Y/n) watched him go before turning her gaze back to Tyler.

     "Jack meant a lot to Ethan, to all of us," Tyler lifted his head again connecting his eyes to the girl in front of him. "He wouldn't want us to be all sad over him, he would wan us to move on and get through this world and beat it with all we got. With everythin' he gave us..."

     (Y/n) nodded in agreement at her friends words and lowered her head to the ground now back into her thoughts.

--------------------

     Ethan was sitting by the riverside listening to the cool waters rushing down the rocky sides. memories were floating through his head of his old friend. He blamed himself for not helping him or even jumping in front of him himself. If he did maybe Jack would still be alive and (Y/n) wouldn't be with them in this hopeless situation. 

     "Ethan... are you really sure about all of this? Do you really want to go down this path? I un-" Jack's voice rung through his mind. This was back when he first joined the gang, Ethan was about 16 at the time and was still traumatized by the events that led to his families death.

     "Yes! Jack! I want this! Will you please just leave me the fuck alone about it! I am not going to change my mind and that is final! So stop askin' me!" Ethan interjected yelling at his friend. He was so caught up in the hate that he didn't even hear himself when he spoke those words to Jack. He never heard himself when he said all those bad things to Jack or anyone less for that matter until now. He now saw how much of a jerk he was to all of the people who cared about him and just to everyone in general.

     "O-Okay... sorry I asked Ethan, I just wanted you to have a choice that is all. Because as soon as you pull that trigger you cannot go back to the life you had before," Jacks words rang clear this time through his mind as the memory started to fade.

     A tear slid down his cheeks as he opened his eyes to the water, it was now dark and the crickets were chirping a tune to him. He sighed and stood up. He was gonna prove to Jack where ever he was that he could change and he was going to make it up to him even if it takes his whole life to. With a quick motion he was back on his feet and on his pale horse. As soon as he sat into the saddle, the same energy of hatred and revenge coursed through his veins but this time he didn't listen.