Chapter 38: Dark Storms

Sunday, October 24, 1897

     It was a little after 3 in the morning now and Ethan was laying in bed with (Y/n), his arm was firmly wrapped around his love protectively. Rushing hooves and the loud bang of guns firing woke both Ethan and (Y/n) up with a jolt of energy. Ethan looked out the window to see 15 men on horse back racing towards the house. Ethan quickly got out of the bed, (Y/n) sat up.

     "What's wrong? What's happenin'?" She panicked to Ethan who was putting on his jacket.

     "Get your pistol and be careful we have company," Ethan quickly grabbed his holster and put the belt back on. Ethan pulled put his pistol from its resting place and filled the magazine with bullets before rushing down the stairs. With one quick motion Ethan grabbed his hat off the hanger and rushed out the front door. (Y/n) frantically lifted her pillow to grab the pistol that lied underneath, she placed each bullet into the cylinder shakily then quickly yet quietly climbed out from the bed.

     Between it being dark out and the fact that the men kept a 50 meter distance from him only made it harder for Ethan to navigate. The bright full moonlighting helped, but just enough to see the snipers that had been hiding in the shadows. The 15 men from earlier had either jumped off their horse or circled the single man. Ethan heard the sound of boots chasing after him from behind, he turned around to see (Y/n). When she finally reached arms length he pushed her down behind a cover not far from him. Her breath hitched at the sudden actions and moved fully behind the cover before looking back up to the man who had pushed her.

     "Ethan Nestor! Get your ass behind this cover!" She yelled at him as she looked all around, a man on horse back was coming up behind them at lightng speeds. She quickly turned and aimed her pistol at the mans chest and fired the weapon. All she heard was a quick gasp of breath before a loud thud onto the cold ground. The horse went straight passed them leaving the dead man behind on the ground.

     "I am tryin' to see where the snipers are!" Ethan shouted back to the girl, but before he could react she pulled him down behind the cover with her.

     "Ethan, you are gonna get yourself killed! They are too far. I can just barely see them in this lightin'! So I definitely don't think you would be able to!" She yelled over the gun fire.

      "Well how do we get rid of them if neither of us can see them?!" Ethan thought for a moment as bullets flew passed them and grazed over the wooden surface. He had nothing, no ideas, nothing. He had no idea what to do, he did the only thing he could.

     "Head for the house, (Y/n)!" Ethan quickly stood up and aimed his pistol at a coming person on horse back in the distance. "I will hold them off, I want you to run and go inside! If they get in go out the back and get the horse." (Y/n) stood up from the hiding spot and bolted from the cover to the porch. Ethan fired his pistol hitting the man right in the forehead, he watched him fall from the horses back with a yelp of pain. Ethan turned his head instantly when he heard the sound of boots charging at him. A flash of light caught the corner of his eye, flash meant a bullet. He found one of the snipers. Ethan quickly ripped the gun from the man who charged at him and hit him in the face causing blood to rush down from his nose with the butt of the rifle he had ripped from the males arms before dropping the gun to the ground and grabbing the unconscious man close to cover himself from the incoming fire from the sniper he had saw in the corner of his eye. After the bullet pierced the mans skin Ethan dropped him to the cold ground and raised his high powered pistol. With a quick silent prayer he shot the weapon at the non-existent blur of a person. He could just barely hear a distant groan of agony from the sniper as he ducked back down behind the cover. he looked all around for anymore flashes of light. The sound of a bullet grazing the covers top snapped Ethan's head forward to dodge the bullet.