Chapter 36: Target Practice

Saturday, October 23, 1897

     (Y/n) looked up from her place on the couch to see out the window Ethan was shooting bottle targets with a distance of 40 meters. He was missing a lot more than he was getting it. (Y/n) stood up and walked out the farmhouse door and down the steps of the porch,

     "What are ya doin' cowboy?!" She shouted over the gunshots to earn his attention. He lowered his pistol and looked in her direction.

     "Target practicin'," Ethan spoke before turning back to what he was doing.

     "You are missin' a lot, what is wrong?" She questioned stopping beside him. He sighed and lowered both his gun and his head in shame.

     "I don't know I'm just shaky and my vision is gettin' bad, I can't see the goddamn bottle! All see is the color and that is it!" Ethan exclaims before turning to look at her. "Come here, I want to show you a few things. I want to make sure you can protect yourself if somethin' happens and just so you can shoot properly." (Y/n) walked over to him as he put in more bullets into the magazine before handing it to her. He backed up a few inches so she could stand where he was standing, she went to the place and held up the pistol aiming it at the bottle.

     "Back straight helps the gun from jumpin', arms straight, this pistol has a kick to it so be careful," (Y/n) looked to him and then the bottle doing as he said. He went up behind her and grabbed a hold of the pistol while she was still holding it and guided her arms up a little. "Don't tense up and jump back with the gun hold your ground. Whenever you are ready shoot." Ethan slowly let go of her hands to gave her the free will and backed up so she wouldn't hit him. 

     She took a deep breath and closed her eyes momentarily before firing the pistol, she hit the bottle making it shattered with a loud crash of glass. She lowered the gun with a bright smile on her face.

     "I did it!" She exclaimed and looked to Ethan who was smiling with his arms crossed.

     "I will go out up a few more out there and then teach your another trick," Ethan stated and headed out to put a few more bottles up. She watched as he walked out to the stumps where he had placed the bottle. She never knew that he had issues with distance at all, she wished she could help him. He didn't have glasses so his vision would only get more blurry and not get any better. Ethan placed three more on the stumps before walking back over.

     "Okay each one of those bottles are the exact same height and distance from each other-" (Y/n) cut him off with a small giggle and shook her head.

     "Are we goin' back to math class?" She questioned giggling.

     "Well we are about to do math right now," Ethan replied and went behind her grabbing her hands once again pushing the gun up a little. "Now I want you to keep the gun at that level and move to the next as quick as you can then the next. Speed and calculation for accuracy is needed for taking more down at once."

     "Says the man who doesn't have to aim," (Y/n) shot back playfully and rolled her eyes before he let go of her hands and backed up.

     "I have had a lot of practice, when you have done this as much as I have, you learn to do the math without realizing it," Ethan commented watching her stance as she stood there.

     "What about Jack and Tyler?" 

     "Jack had a shaky arm and his back was bent most the time causin' the gun to jump and move from his place he aimed. Tyler was just a speedy person, he never thought of it as calculations or accuracy, he saw it as if there is blood then he will die." Ethan ran his fingers through his oily hair as (Y/n) kept her arms up just how Ethan showed her and fired the weapon, in seconds she moved to the next and missed then moved to the next and got it. She lowered the gun.

     "Close lets try again," Ethan said walking out to put up two more bottles back up. He came back seconds later and stood behind the (h/c)  haired girl with his arms crossed against his chest. "Don't tense and straighten that back up." Ethan's tone was serious yet a comforting voice to her as she did what he told her to do. She lifted the pistol back up and aimed it at the bottle on the stumps. Then she fired, she we,m to the next one then the last. Each time she heard the bottle break that would make her smile at what she had done. She was proud of herself that she was actually able to do it

     "10 seconds, well done doll," Ethan said in a calm voice as he walked back up behind her, she lowered the pistol and handed it to him.

     "I was taught by the best," she spoke confidently making him smile brightly to the girl in front of him. 

     "I am gonna go head inside and start to cook dinner alright?" Ethan looked over to her and smiled nodding.

     "Of course I will be out here practicin' if you need me." She nodded and made her way back to the house, before she walked inside she stopped to look at the man whom she adored. He was reloading his pistol and running his fingers through his hair, he seemed bothered by something, but why was he showing it while she wasn't with him? She could have helped him in some way or at least tried, maybe he just didn't want her to worry about him. Everyone is already worried about him so what is the difference. She sighed and pushed open the door and walked inside to prepare dinner for them both.