Chapter 18: The Poker Game

Sunday, October 17, 1897

     "Showdown time! Flip those cards," Mark said as him and Tyler flipped their cards over. They were playin' Texas Hold 'em Poker. The 5 dealt cards in the middle of the stump were an ace, queen, ten, six and three. Tyler's hand had a nine and eight while Mark's on the other hand had king and a jack. What are the odds of this ever happenin' for him again? "Royal flush bitch now give me your money." Tyler's eyes widened as he threw up his hands in defeat.

     "What! No!" Tyler exclaimed as Mark leaned forward takin' all of his money he had laid out in front of him.

     "Thank you for the business sir." Tyler rolled his eyes at his friend and leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed. From the corner of his eye he saw (Y/n) and Ethan walking passed them heading over to the horses.

     "Where are you guys goin'?" Tyler asked the young couple as he turned his head back to look at them.

     "Takin' (Y/n) on a little ride, we will be back before 8 or 9," Ethan said untying his horse before grabbing onto the horn to pull himself onto the saddle.

     "Be careful out there, don't know who all is out there lookin' for us," Mark stated as he started to deal out the next group of cards.

     "I'm always careful Mark, I always find a way out of those kind of situations," Ethan replied helping (Y/n) onto his horse.

      "But not always in the smartest and safest way, you ain't alone ridin' Ethan, try to be smarter and safer with her. She ain't like you Ethan," Tyler turned back to the cards in front of him and picked them up to look at them.

     "Okay okay don't get your stirrups in a bundle." Ethan rolled his eyes slightly and pulled back on the reins making the horse back up slowly. (Y/n) had taken the time to wrap her arms around his waist tightly.

     "Don't let the bears eat your ass!" Mark shouted as they rode off.

     "Oh hardy-fuckin'-har!" Ethan yelled back as they disappeared into further into the woods.

     "So how are ya holdin' up Mark, just thought I'd ask since all that has happened lately," Tyler asked his friend as he put in a ten dollar bill in the middle of the stump.

     "I'm holdin' up somewhat, its been a whole day and I just want to remember what they meant to us and not how and why we lost them. Amy wouldn't want me to be sad and neither would Jack."

     "You really did care about them both didn't you?" Tyler looked up to Mark as he put in some money into the middle before flipping the next card in the middle.

     "Jack was like a brother to me and Amy well I fell for her instantly. I just wish we could have met under better circumstances. All of you are family to me and would never ask for a better family than this one, yes we may have our issues but what family doesn't right?" Mark chuckled a bit as he placed his next bet down.

     "You mean a lot to us too Mark, trust me. Even when we all fight that is just our way of sayin' you mean a lot to us." Tyler placed his own bet next before the final card was flipped and bets were places again. Tyler smirked at his cards before Mark placed his two heads up cards down to show 2 aces. Tyler put his cards down to show an ace and a four. "I win!" Tyler took the money from the stumps surface and put the money into his pile. Mark took the cards and put them all back into the stack and placed them in front of Tyler before leaning back into his chair.

     "I'm glad I met you guys because if I never found any of you I would have probably never felt like... I belonged anywhere else or a part of a true family," Mark replied leaning his arms on the stumps surface.