Chapter 25: Not the Same

Wednesday, October 20, 1897

     (Y/n) woke up 11 hours later to see it was now dark outside, she looked other side to expect to see Ethan by her side, but he wasn't there. She quickly sat up and looked all around the dark room, she turned to her beside table and took the candle from the surface and grabbed the matches that lied next to it, she pulled out one and slid the match along the side catching the match on fire. She lit the candle and blew out the match. She stood on her feet and made her way out the door and down the stairs quietly hoping to not wake anyone. When she got in the view of the kitchen and dining room she looked all around the room to see he still wasn't there. Worry filled her as she almost ran down the steps to the window to see him sitting outside sitting in the grass by the hillside. She went to the door and took hold of the doorknob and opened the door carefully.

     "Ethan?" She questioned making him spin around to look at her.

     "(Y/n)? Go back inside and get some more rest, it's gettin' cold out here." Ethan stood to his feet, she shook her head and went over to him running her hand along his cheek lovingly.

      "I was worried about you, you told me you would be up, did you even get any sleep since we parted?" She let her hand go to her side as he scratched his neck.

      "No, sorry. Please don't worry about me I will be fine, (Y/n)."

     "It's fine Ethan, you are still here so I am happy." Ethan lowered his head in shame, he bit his lip lightly and looked back up at the sky lost in thought almost before he spoke up to his beloved.

      "After the conversation we had yesterday I had to think a few things over and I have came to the conclusion that I ain't the same man anymore."

     "No you ain't the same, you are chang-"

     "No, (Y/n) I mean in general." Ethan interrupted before looking to her with his eyes furrowed.        "Look at me I'm an outlaw, I run around stealin' and killin' for the fun of it, back when I was a kid I was care free, I would run around playin' tag and was actually safe, I had a real home not a temporary home that would last a week or so."

     "You can change who you are even if you can't fix the mistakes you have made, you can fix you as a person Ethan," (Y/n) stepped closer and put her hands on his cheeks. The moonlight shined in his eyes showing his hazel eyes glistening from tears threatening to pour out of them. "When we get out of here we can head to the ocean, take a boat and travel like we planned to do when we were kids."

     "(Y/n), we won't make it there trust me." Ethan wrapped his arms around her waist and held her closely.

     "We are headin' up to Manzanita Post anyway why not head to the ocean after for a little detour, I always wanted to see the ocean and you know that." She let her hands dropped from his cheeks and went around his neck.

     "Okay, I will take you there to see the water at least, but we won't make it far if we tried to go on boat they would find a way to hunt us down." (Y/n) nodded and gave him a small peck on his chapped lips before running her fingers through his dirty greasy brown hair.

     "Let's get to bed you need some rest," (Y/n) let go of his neck and back a way causing his arms to fall from her waist. She took hold of his hand and dragged him inside to their room where he could sleep for a few hours before they would have to get up. The sun wasn't coming up for another 5 hours so he had time to get at least a little bit of sleep.