xxxiii

The unpleasant smell of burned rice and metal still hung unpleasantly and thickly in the air

The unpleasant smell of burned rice and metal still hung unpleasantly and thickly in the air. Despite how many windows had been opened, fans turned on, the strong odour didn't sway away and stuck to every surface in the room like bacteria, clogging up Yoongi's nose and making him scrunch it up, displeased. Daddy sent him a sympathetic smile as he finished preparing the other luxury dishes Yoongi hadn't even heard of before (but he'd hopefully get to taste, after all, he'd had nothing but fruit and oatmeal today and it was late evening).

"It'll pass, darling. Then we can get some food in your tummy and put to bed — hopefully with Bear," Daddy said.

Yoongi yearned dearly for his sweet cuddly friend. The feeling of uneasiness without Bear was intensifying every minute, his little fingers wringing together anxiously, desperate to thread them through the soft, comforting brown fur of Bear. Wanting to just hold him close and look into his bottomless glass eyes and tighten the large red bow perfectly, rub his flushed cheeks against the gentle material at night to soothe himself to sleep if he had woken up, unsettled, in the darkness.

A whine tumbled from Yoongi's throat before he could stop it.

Daddy's lips morphed into a worried frown, eyebrows pushing together as he tried to think of the cause to his baby's sudden distress — but it was blatantly obvious.

He had been torn from the place that provided stability for the first time in his young life, taken far away to a large home with two strangers, only to have one of them create chaos and fright with burning the food and setting off the blaring fire alarm. And now his only companion had been pulled from his arms, too.

"Shh, love. You're okay," Daddy soothed when Yoongi's eyes turned watery, naturally pouty bottom lip jutting out even further. It was cute. "Is it Appa you're after, sweetheart? He's just washing up, and then you can sit with him for a while."

"No," Yoongi struggled out weakly, patting away Daddy's arms very gently from his place in the high chair that had been unpacked from the car within minutes (after all, he definitely didn't want to get punished for "hitting", even though the only two real punishments he had received were two time outs.)

Daddy simply sighed and stepped back, cooing quietly at the younger's pink rimmed umber eyes that shone with desperation and exhaustion which was even more evident in his hunched posture and limp limbs.

His baby was tired.

It was expected after their long travel that consisted of rather a handful of unwanted teasing and nappy changes. Despite it being mid August, the thermometer in their vehicle had reached high temperatures that got to everyone's head and made them a bit fussy, too.

"That's fine, baby," Daddy reassured, feeling as, if not more, tired as Yoongi. The heat waving off the stove and pan caused the room to become steamy and even more hot, probably another factor to why Yoongi was grumpy and maybe even suffering with a headache.