xliv

Upon wakening, Yoongi buried himself into the soft cotton polyester sheets, rubbing his cheek against the silky border around his pillowcase, the early autumn sunshine shone through the window and slithered through the slits in the Venetian blinds...

Upon wakening, Yoongi buried himself into the soft cotton polyester sheets, rubbing his cheek against the silky border around his pillowcase, the early autumn sunshine shone through the window and slithered through the slits in the Venetian blinds, painting his bare legs in a cosy striped glow, like toasty hot-cross buns on a lovely spring morning, though that may have been because of the spicy sugar smell pervading the room, distantly familiar to Yoongi, and that's what eventually roused him from his slumber.

Once he had rubbed the sleep from his eyes and let the sun warm his cheeks, Yoongi stared down at the blanket, tracing Saturn's ring with the tip of his finger, before pushing the quilt off of him and surveying the bedroom. His bedroom. The thought was bitter inside his mind but the buzzing in Yoongi's chest said otherwise. The toys to the left of the bed were still untouched, and the storybooks resting idly on the shelf across from him were yet to be adventured.

Yoongi noticed the corner of the rug adorning the floor overturned, and with a yawn, he spotted the knitted sheep toy close by, and one would think it had fallen off during the night, but when Yoongi had been settled under the covers, he had thrown the plushie to the ground, because it wasn't Bear.

Bear wasn't here. Just like the two men that had promised to look after him, and then left him, with two strangers he hadn't know yet a week.

***

"Are you sure you're okay? Your hands are going to be quite full with both Jeongguk and Yoongi," Seokjin had fussed good heartedly. He wasn't entirely on board with the idea by the time six o'clock had rolled around, but a cab had been called and would arrive within the next ten minutes, their hotel booked for the weekend and suitcases already packed. After Yoongi had sobbed in his arms - that alone almost persuaded Jin to say, even if Yoongi hadn't uttered a word - his despair soon turned to anger and he had weakly hit out, trying to escape from his arms. Luckily Namjoon had been watching from the doorway and quickly stepped in, and although Yoongi was no different him with, the man had kept hold onto him until his energy had been drained.

Jimin grinned. "It's no problem at all, hyung. Don't worry about it."

"You'll call if anything happens?" Jin was biting on his bottom lip so harsh Jimin wondered how it hadn't broken and starting bleeding. Concerned, he moved forward and gently tugged the chin down to free his lip.

"Yes. I promise, hyung," Jimin said. "I know you guys haven't even been here with us for a week, but it's just two days away, and then when you come back you'll hopefully be well rested and things will flow back to normal - but it won't if you spend it worrying. Yoongi will obviously miss you, there's no one denying that-"

"-but Yoongi." Seokjin and Jimin twisted around, watching Namjoon trudge down the steps with two small suitcases. After Yoongi had unleashed his anger by feeble hits and cries, he was wrapped in his blanket and placed next to Jeongguk on the sofa, turning Winnie The Pooh on to distract him, but he had hidden himself under the blanket and ignored the world around him.