xxxix

As Jeongguk rushed away to fetch the decking chairs from the garden house and Appa to the toilet, Jimin strolled onto the deck in his sandals and bent down, testing the silvery water with his fingers

As Jeongguk rushed away to fetch the decking chairs from the garden house and Appa to the toilet, Jimin strolled onto the deck in his sandals and bent down, testing the silvery water with his fingers. A blissful expression flit across his face.

"Not too cold and not grossly warm. Perfect." The actor hummed in satisfaction and stood back up, shaking the pearl droplets from his fingers.

"I might go in for a dip myself." Yoongi's bottom lip jutted out at Appa's words for no particular reason.

Daddy smiled. "Do you want to go in the water now, baby? Or play in the warm sand with the buckets, and look." Yoongi did so, carefully following Daddy's movements with his cat-like eyes. The man reached towards the pile where the colourful plastic toys had been placed on the pavement. Three different shaped sand buckets of different primary colours, two spades - a large one and small one - three medium nets and a little bag filled with bright plastic toys. They were shaped like different objects.

"You press these into the sand and it copies the shape of it," Daddy explained, holding a green tortoise one with a friendly smile.

Yoongi shook his head straight away, confidently pointing towards the beautiful lake. "Water." Embarrassment followed easily at his silly choice of words, and Yoongi quickly stuttered out a more balanced sentence, "I w-want to swim." He looked down shyly when Jimin grinned happily beside him. It was his first time hearing Yoongi's voice, after all. It was soft and airy, delicate just like the boy's features.

"That's fine, too, darling," Daddy murmured, reaching for the armbands. Appa appeared at the top of the steps helping Jeongguk carry the folded chairs.

"Is he going in the water?"

Daddy hummed. "I asked him what he wanted to do and he chose to swim," he cooed, starting to blow one orange arm band up, stopping briefly to say, "Didn't you, sweetheart?"

Yoongi simply nodded and stared off into the water, curling his free toes that were resting on the warm pavement.

Appa frowned. "How long ago did he have breakfast?"

"About forty five minutes ago," Jimin supplied. "You don't think he'll get cramp, do you? Isn't that just a myth?" he worried.

"I wouldn't want to risk it. He'll have his floaties on but it's much safer just to wait fifteen minutes. Twenty to be sure," Appa said. Yoongi grumbled as Daddy smiled sympathetically.

"Come on, baby. You won't want to get away from the sand when you're on it," Daddy promised, lifting Yoongi up. Jimin grabbed the pile of toys.

"We can make a big sand castle and maybe find some creatures to live in it," Jimin said. "It's not a real beach - there's not much sand and no crabs, but I'm sure there's some newts around here."

"I'll catch one!" Jeongguk exclaimed happily, grabbing a net.

Yoongi didn't really like the sound of any sort of unknown creature being close to him and secretly hoped Jeongguk didn't find any. Daddy carried Yoongi towards the sandy area and placed him down, stretching his own legs until the bottom of his feet dipped into the refreshing water.