Better Without Derek

It was a peaceful night. It looked like as if a black piece of velvet had been lied over the sky and sprinkled with shinning gems. The white twinkling stars gave harmony at the black-blue sky. The night air was cold and stiff and all the street lights were shining.

Nina got in the movie theatre and her nose smelled the smell of the delicious popcorn. Derek was getting tickets for some horror movie they were going to watch while Nina was staring around. It wasn’t really crowded, so after a few seconds she could clearly recognize the figure that walked inside the theatre.

She smiled brightly, her heart filling with love and approached to Ian. He was smiling as well but his smile froze when he saw Derek. Nina remembered why she was there with him but that didn’t stop her from walking to Ian.

Ian wanted to kick Derek’s ass right there and right now. But instead, he just walked towards Nina and wrapped his arms around her. He closed his eyes and played with a lock of her hair. He felt like never wanting to let her go.

She was hugging him back as well but pulled away when she heard Derek’s voice behind her.

"We’ve got the tickets, Dobrev." He said loudly and regarded Ian with contempt.

Nina turned to him and smiled. “Okay, I’m coming.”

But Ian pulled her by her waist back to him and held her head between his two hands. “Please just call me later.” He said quietly, while gazing in her brown doe eyes. She nodded, gave him a light smile and walked to Derek.

Ian watched them as they walked to get popcorn and drinks. He was so not staying for the rest. So he turned around and walked out of the theatre. Nina looked at him and her heart filled with sadness. She had just seen the love of her life, walking away because she was with someone else. Someone who she didn’t even want to be with. So she really felt the need to finish with what she had came here for.

"Derek, wait." She stopped him and he turned to face her. "I don’t want to lie to you, I just…"

He interrupted. “You’re scared of the film?”

"No! I can’t..date you. And I can’t come to Idaho with you. And you can’t kiss me whenever you want to. I don’t want to be rude, because we’re friends, obviously."

"You don’t feel the connection?" The smile crossed his lips.

She frowned. “No, I don’t. I didn’t know you wanted to date me for real, so I’m sorry.”

"That’s because of the loser that came tonight, isn’t it?"

'Loser?' “Loser?” She yelled. “You’re the loser here, Derek. Ian is a mature, grown man and an amazing human being, unlike you. And no he’s not the reason I don’t want to see you anymore. Actually I wanted to ditch your ass from the moment you showed up at my door a week ago.”

"You two are not going to survive."

Nina felt like slapping him right there, but she just stayed calm and rolled her eyes. “Don’t call me anymore.” And she turned back and walked out of the theatre.

-Why are you here?

-Couldn’t live without you, I guess.. :’)

Ian walked insecure to Nina’s front door, almost breathless, since he had walked up the stairs. He rang the doorbell, his heart was pounding in his chest in excitmenet. He couldn’t wait to see her beautiful face, which he couldn’t enjoy in the previous day.

Soon, Nina opened the door and smiled at Ian. She felt like she had waited a thousand years for that damn doorbell to ring. “Come in.” She said happily.