The One Where She Got Away

"Where did all the strawberries go?"

Nina took her packet of cigarettes, took out one, put it in her mouth and lit it up. “Oh, Alex ate them.”

"Oh." Ian took a sip from the beer. "Do you know where is Matt?"

She pulled a little smoke into her mouth and then blew it out. “I don’t know.”

Text to: Nina.

I’m eating from those buns and they remind me of you.

"Do you want some?" Ian asked, pointing the beer.

"No." She pulled a smoke again and responded to the next she got.

Text to: Derek.

Oh! I’m craving for those buns!

"Okay." Ian sat down on the couch and took another sip. He was watching Nina, who was smoking, texting to someone and laughing. He thought maybe it was one of her girlfriends, so he didn’t ask. He just kept drinking from his beer.

Text to: Nina.

Tell me that Ian isn’t there and I’ll bring some for ya.

Text to: Derek.

He’s here. :) Aren’t Jules and Ri with you?

Text to: Nina.

No, they left me. Come to me.

Text to: Derek.

I can’t do that, Derek.

Nina kept laughing, but wasn’t saying anything to Ian, she wasn’t even looking at him. So Ian just felt the need to ask her. “Who are you texting to, babe?” He spoke softly, waiting for her response.

Text to: Nina.

What? Are you scared? No one is kidnapping you.

"A friend." She smiled, pulled some smoke from the cigarette again and continued texting.

Text to: Derek.

I’m scared of you. :D

"What’s his name?"

Nina blew out the smoke and then stubbed out the cigarette. “His?” She laughed.

"Yeah."

Text to: Nina.

Of me? Now you’re in the trouble, Dobrev.

Nina didn’t respond to Ian, she just kept texting.

Text to: Derek.

Oh yeah?

Ian sighed silently and spoke again. “Are you not gonna tell me?”

"Derek."

Ian’s heart started beating fast. He knew it. He just knew it. Anger swirled like a red tide within him, rising to choke him. His breath became harsh and shallow and the feeling of jealousy was slowly growing into his skin, filling his blood. It made his eyes go dark and his mouth became a straight line.

He didn’t really feel like saying anything so he just shot. “Oh.”

Text to: Nina.

Where are you tomorrow?

"Is it a problem?" Nina looked up at Ian.

"Nope. Unless you’re flirting with him." His mind was whirling with thoughts that only made him assume the worst.