Chapter 10-Zora

Running into Christian last night was weird. I hate crying in front of people and to make it worse it was in front of him. I've only known him a day, but I don't want him thinking that I'm weak. He seemed to understand though. Maybe there's more to him than I originally thought.

My first day at camp started out at the archery range since I told Chiron that I was good at it. I may be the best on my team, but generally I miss at least 2 out of 10 bulls-eyes. Today though I hit all 10 right in the center. It was really strange, but that about sums up my life right now.

The rest of the day involved practicing other talents that Apollo kids sometimes have. I also turned out to have a talent for healing spells, so some Hecate kids got me a book of them.

The rest of the day consisted of a bunch of other demigod training activities. I found out that I'm pretty much useless with a sword, but I did pretty well with the climbing wall which surprised me. The best part was arts and crafts because Christian was there helping out. He didn't mention what happened last night, but his eyes were filled with worry when he looked at me.

Most of the campers tried to make me feel welcome, but there were a few whispers about my heritage. The worst thing that happened was when these two Ares brothers walked up to me.

"Hey, Zora!" one of the boys shouted. I think his name was Zach. "What's it like being completely worthless at being a demigod? But I guess you wouldn't know because you aren't a real half-blood."

I'll admit it, him telling this to my face hurt. I knew that most demigods were better than me, but this also wasn't the first time I had dealt with bullies. I decided I would just ignore them.

I started to walk past Zach when Toni grabbed my arm and held me back. "You know," Zach said, "I think it's time for you to learn hand-to-hand combat." Then Toni held me while Zach pulled back and punched me right in the face.

It hurt. A lot. But I didn't yell out. Instead I kneed Zach in the gut taking both him and Toni by surprise and then head utter Toni in the nose. Toni immediately let me go to hold his face and I turned to face Zach.

"Did I forget to mention that I used to take karate classes?" I said smugly, just as Christian showed up.

"What's going on here? Zora why is your lip bleeding?" Christian asked. I could see the concern all over his face.

"Her lip, what about my nose that she broke?" Toni demanded

"They attacked me first I was just defending myself." I said hoping that Christian would believe me. At this point we were attracting a pretty big crowd, which included Chiron.

"Christian would you please take Zora and Toni to the infirmary. Zach please come with me." Chiron told us.

Christian didn't talk to me on the way to the infirmary but I could tell that he wanted to ask me what happened. Some of the campers helping out gave Toni some ambrosia and gave me an ice pack for my lip. After a while Chiron showed up and asked me what had happened.

"It was self defense. They held me and punched me in the face, so I defended myself. I promise that's the truth. I swear on the river Styx." I told Chiron.

"I believe you Zora. Those two campers are always causing problems around here. What I want to know is how you managed to take out two of the war gods children while being held." Chiron replied.

"I don't know. I took karate when I was little so I guess it just came naturally to me." I said.

Chiron didn't respond instead he just looked at me thoughtfully. Then he turned towards Toni and started talking to him. I realized that he was done talking to me so I got up and left the infirmary.