Chapter 34- Christian

Do prisons always have to be cold and wet? I mean sure we are in a mountain cave, but couldn't they at least given us a blanket or something. I took my jacket off and gave it to Wesley and Rachel, but along with the lack of food none of us were in good shape. Even Wesley had started to lose hope and he didn't even know how serious the situation was.

I have no idea how long we've been sitting in this cave, but I do know that I've barely slept at all. Honestly I'm scared to. I'm scared that I'll close my eyes and find out that Zora and Rania aren't coming for us. I'm scared I'll find out that they've given up or ended up as some monsters midnight snack.

"Christian-" Rachel started interrupting my thoughts, "You should try and sleep. I have a feeling that the end of all of this is coming soon and you need to have as much strength as possible."

"You should take your own advice. Besides I can't sleep. I don't want to." I said tightly. She just looked at me with broken eyes that told me everything. She knew exactly how I was feeling and it was probably even worse for her being the oracle and all.

"Christian when we get a chance to escape you have to protect Zora's brother. You have to get him out. I- I will stay and-" I could hear the fear in he voice.

"No. Absolutely not. We are all going to make it out of this. We..." I trailed off at the look in her eyes it was clear she knew something I didn't.

"Christian,"

"One of us isn't going to make it out. You saw it didn't you." My voice was shaky and so quiet I almost thought she didn't hear me.

Then she said, "Zora and the others will show up and we will all end up together, but one of us will have to stay. I just don't know who. I don't know how to stop it." She looked down and Wesley, who was curled up on the floor underneath my jacket, sleeping.

I looked at him too. I looked at his blond hair and his striking resemblance to Zora. I looked at his skinny, malnourished frame from going too long without food and I knew what Rachel was afraid of. Wesley would not be the one we left behind, I would be. I looked back up at Rachel and caught her eye. She understood what I was going to do and she didn't like it, but she wasn't about to argue with me over it.

I don't know how long it was, but all of the sudden a guard came bursting into the cave. He wasn't carrying a tray so it wasn't time for food, but he started unlocking our cell. Rachel woke Wesley up and hugged him closer to her. We both knew that we were in no shape to fight our way out of this, so we let the guards drag us out of the cell and down the long cavern.

The guard dragging me looked down and gave me a malicious smile. "Looks like it's you lucky day. The master wants to finally meet you." His tone didn't make it sound like we were very lucky.