Chapter 21- Rania

As soon as Christian left Dominic turned back to Zora and asked, "Got any more questions?"

"Yeah, but its not going to help with the quest. Why did decide to help us and turn your back on your friends? Why even join them in the first place?" Zora asked. I saw an intense curiosity in her eyes and I will admit that I was a little bit curious too.

Dominic's face became distant, as if he were trying to recall a lost memory. His dark blue eyes were filled with the pain of loss and betrayal. For a while I didn't think he was going to answer.

Just as I was about to suggest that Zora and I leave he started to tell his story. "I guess I should start at the beginning. Being a son of Thanatos I excel in using Death Magic. When I was little I had no control over it and one day I was really mad at my mother. I threw a fit and then all of the sudden a ball of black fire flew from my hand towards my mother. At first it seemed like nothing happened and then she went ridged and she-she-" His voice broke and he kept blinking like he was holding back tears.

"Anyways, after that a man showed up that said he was my father and then he dropped me in the Underworld and left me. Hades and Persephone helped feed me, but other than that I was on my own as long as I didn't leave the Underworld. For a long time I blamed my father for what happened to my mother. At least that's what I told myself, so when another demigod showed up the day of my 13th birthday and told me that he could get me revenge on the gods, I joined the group."

"I was so angry and messed up that for a while I went along with whatever they wanted. I learned how to control my powers and I killed other demigod when they told me to. I was a puppet. After about a year I started having doubts about what I was doing. Eventually I tried to back out, but they threatened to torture me until I died, so I stayed. I didn't have any other choice. Turning my back on them now is the only good decision I've ever made in my life." Once he finished his story he closed his eyes and became so still and quiet. The only thing that told me he was awake were the silent tears that leaked out from behind his closed eyelids.

Just then Zora spoke up and said, "If you want I can try healing that shoulder for you. I'm not that great, but I've been practicing. I know all the other healers around hear are probably busy with actual campers." She was trying to distract him from his pain. The look on her face said that she was reminded about her own broken family.

"Sure you can try. Most of the people in here have just been ignoring me." Dominic said opening his eyes.

"Removing the bandages might hurt a bit. But the actual healing shouldn't."Zora told him.

Acting on impulse I reached out and grabbed his right hand. I was surprised that he didn't pull away. Zora started working in the bandages and I felt his grip tighten.

When she got all of the bandages off, I was surprised at how bad the wound was. "Didn't they give you any ambrosia or nectar for that?" I asked.

"No. Like I said they've been completely ignoring me."

I couldn't believe the medics were that careless. I watched as Zora closed her eyes and muttered something under her breath. Then her necklace began to glow with a strange golden light and Dominic's wound began to close. When she was done there was a faint scar but he moved his arm and it was obvious that the pain was totally gone.

He smiled a true smile that lit up his entire face. It really made him look handsome. "Thanks," he said, "Now I can finally get out of this awful bed."

He got up and we all walked out together only to find Christian leaning on the wall with a deep scowl on his face. Serves him right. I thought.

As Dominic walked towards the Big House, I desperately wanted to follow him, but I needed to pack my things for our Quest tomorrow.