Chapter 28- Zora

I felt kind of bad leaving Christian to face Rania alone. I mean this whole situation with her is as much my fault as it is his, but, in all honesty, Rania terrifies me.

Dominic and I walked into the gas station store and immediately went for the food. We probably didn't choose the healthiest snacks, but when you let a bunch of teenagers loose without supervision do you really expect them to eat fruits and vegetables?

We walked up to the checkout counter and the cashier started ringing up our items, when three people walked through the door.

Two of them were about our age, maybe 16 or 17, and the third looked like he could be about 22. I generally wouldn't have payed any attention to them, but I felt a prickle on the back of my neck that put me on high alert.

I turned back around and looked at Dominic. I could tell that he felt the same way I did. These people were trouble.

I held some money out to the cashier to pay while keeping my eye on the three strangers browsing through the drinks. I shouldn't have turned my attention completely on the kids because instead of taking my money, the cashier grabbed my wrist and leaped over the counter.

He twisted my arm behind my back and put a knife against my throat. I could feel the sharp blade slightly dig into my neck as Dominic took a step forward.

"If you come any closer I will slit her throat," warned the cashier.

Dominic froze in place and let the two teenagers restrain him. The older person stepped up in front of Dominic and I and began the whole little evil speech.

"Wow. I can't believe you were this easy to catch. I mean walking unarmed into a place you don't know is safe? I knew you weren't the brightest bulb, but I didn't think anyone could be so dense," His eyes never once left mine and he didn't even acknowledge Dominic, "I don't understand what my master wants with you, but I guess it doesn't matter. I have orders to take you alive, but as for your friends, they get no such privileges."

As he talked Dominic and I exchanged a glance. Turns out he didn't have a plan either. Then, I felt my necklace grow warm on my chest and an idea started to form in my head. It was a crazy, stupid plan likely to get us killed, but what the heck.

Some how Dominic read my mind. Maybe it showed on my face, but he immediately started stalling.

"What you don't want to say hello to your old friend?" Dominic asked as I started mumbling a spell that I learned at camp.

"You are a traitor and a disgrace to all of us. You abandoned us for these weaklings. I bet your friends out side are already dead." said the older demigod, who must be the leader of this group.

Crap. I started mumbling the spell a little quicker and I felt my necklace get a little warmer and saw a strange golden glow coming off of me. Now normally I'm no good at defensive magic, but I think I was beginning to understand some of the powers of this strange necklace.

"Uh, boss? She's glowing. What do I do?" asked the cashier still holding me. Then before the leader could turn around I used the heat from the spell to burn his hand. "Ow! Gods of Olympus," said the cashier," she burned me. He had dropped his knife and I managed to twist away from him and snatch it up before he could.

As soon as I was free, Dominic kept into action I kept my knife on the cashier, while Dominic unleashed all of his anger on his opponents.

He knocked out the two teenagers pretty easily with his thin black sword, and then turned to the leader. The leader braced himself for an attack, but that's not what Dominic did.

Instead he gave the leader a huge grin, and held up his hand in the shape of a gun. Dominic pointed the gun at his enemy and said, "Bang!"

The leader of the group immediately fell over like he had actually been shot.

"He's not-" I started, hardly believing what I just saw.

"No. I only knocked him out, but we should get the others and get out of here as quickly as possible." Dominic told me.

I nodded and we ran outside (with the food of course). We were met with the shouting of our friends as they fought some hell hounds, demigods, and what looked like a cross between a rooster and a horse.