Chapter 18- Zora

I didn't sleep well that night. I don't know if it was nerves or anticipation, but the nightmares that I tried so hard to block out came back.

In the dream I saw my mother and she looked at me and asked, "Why didn't you save me? Why weren't you here?"

I tried to explain to her why, but I couldn't. Then just as I thought I couldn't take any more, I woke up.

Later that day I met Rania, Christian, and Chiron along with all the cabin leaders to discuss the message the kid left for me.

"What in the Hades is the natural state?" Christian asked.

Rania answered him with, "Since its talking about a place then it must be in Arkansas. The tallest mountain in Arkansas would be Mount Magazine."

"How do you know all this stuff?" Christian replied.

"Daughter of Athena remember?"she told him coldly. I guess she was still kind of upset about that kiss.

Gods the kiss. Why didn't I pull away? I knew how Rania felt about Christian, but I didn't care. It's not like a kiss means anything. I can't be falling in love. I have to focus on my brother. But that kiss-

My thought were interrupted when I got an elbow in the ribs from Christian.

"Huh, yes I agree." I said hoping that I didn't agree to something bad.

"Zora do you even know what you just agreed to?" Christian asked me. He was looking at me with amusement and something else that I couldn't place or didn't want to.

I grinned sheepishly, "No, I kind of zoned out. I'm sorry. What were we talking about?"

"We were talking about how this is most definitely a trap, but we aren't sure why they want you. Do you have any ideas?" Chiron asked me.

"No. I don't know why they want me. All I know is that they have my brother and Rachel and I am going to get them back." I said.

Christian sighed and said, "We don't even have enough information to find them. All we have is that they're at the top of a mountain in some state know one cares about. Do you know how big the top of a mountain is?"

I could tell he was starting to get irritated with this whole meeting so I said, "Look I know that there's not a lot to go on so why don't we talk to someone who knows where we're going. We need to talk to those kids we captured."

"Zora we can't -" Christian started but he was quickly interrupted by Rania.

"Zora's right," she said coolly with a slight nod in my direction, "some of the captives have already agreed to help us and we need to know everything we can about what we are up against. After all knowledge is power."

"Spoken like a true child of Athena." Chiron appraised. I could feel Rania swell with pride beside me but otherwise she showed no emotion at all. Chiron looked towards us and continued, "You three will meet on the Big House porch an hour before dinner. For now you are dismissed."

With that Rania got up and left immediately without even a glance in me and Christian's direction. I got up to follow her, but found my path block by Christian.

"Come on. I want to show you something." He said.

I hesitated before answering "All right but it has to be quick. We only have a few hours and there's something I have to take care of."

A huge grin lit up his face as he grabbed my hand and led me out of the meeting room towards the forest.