Chapter 29- Rania

I don't know why I volunteered to stay behind with Christian. Maybe I just couldn't take holding in my feelings anymore. All I knew was that I was going to explode and someone was going to get hurt.

I climbed out with Christian because I didn't want to sit in the car, and watched him as he expertly filled up the gas tank and wiped the windshield without any help, even though he had never done it before. I guess it was a talent of Hephaestus kids.

He looked at me with those beautiful golden eyes, and I had to look away. I just kept replaying him a Zora kissing over and over.

"Rania, what's going on with you lately? you won't even look at me and every time I talk you look at me like I'm a monster you want to kill?" Christian asked me. I could hear the confusion in his voice, and maybe it wasn't fair to him but I lost it. A wave of anger surged up in me and I told him everything.

"What's wrong? Really? Christian, you and Zora are what's wrong! I have been here for you for years and then she shows up and wins your heart in a few weeks!"

He opened his mouth and I saw a look in his eyes that he was about to deny the truth, "No, don't deny it I've seen the way you two look at each other, and I can't-" My voice broke and I could feel tears gathering in my eyes. I wiped them away angrily. I couldn't cry in front of him, I wouldn't.

"Rania I didn't know-" he tried, but I just interrupted him again.

"No you didn't, but it wouldn't have mattered. You never noticed me more than a friend, and sometimes not even then. I thought I could change, I got some Aphrodite kids to help me, but none of it worked. You-" Luckily my rant was cut short before I could embarrass myself anymore. I heard the sound of blades being unsheathed, a summoning spell being spoken, and something say "Cockadoodle-neigh."

I drew my weapon and looked around. We were surrounded by three demigods, a horde of hell hounds, and a giant rooster horse.

You probably think I'm kidding. Haha, that monster couldn't exist right? Well it does. It's called a hippalectryon, and your lucky if you've never seen one. They aren't nearly as cute and funny as they sound.

One of the demigods spoke up, "You are obviously surrounded and out numbered."

"Really? I hadn't noticed," I said.

"If you come with us peacefully. We will spare your lives. Your friends inside have already been secured. There is no point in fighting us." said another demigod.

Christian and I exchanged a look. Yeah the odds of us winning the fight were bad, but I got the feeling these people would kill us anyways. I immediately started running battle tactics through my head. There was obviously a child of Hades here (no one else can summon the hell hounds and control them). He would be the most dangerous.

Christian and I moved back to back, like we had practiced thousands of times at camp.

Christian looked at one of the demigods and said, "Screw surrendering. If we are going to die, we're gonna go out fighting." He ran straight up to one of the hell hounds and sliced it to dust before anyone else could react. He continued hacking and slicing any monster that came in his path and I joined him.

I ended up face to face with a small girl who couldn't have been older than 13. She was pale and had dark hair. Her eyes were so dark they were almost black. I realized that she much be the child of Hades that summoned the hell hounds, but she didn't look all that dangerous. Her sword was almost too big for her and she looked terrified.

I hesitated on attacking her because according to Dominic, a lot of these demigods were forced to join whoever wanted Zora. I shouldn't have underestimated her though. She lashed out with incredible speed and I felt a searing pain in my side. The pain made me loose my balance and I fell over. The girl stood over me and raised her blade to finish me off.

Just then a dark shadow fell over me as someone stepped in between me and the girl. It was Dominic with his wings stretched out and his black sword in his hand. The girl immediately dropped her sword and ran off. I couldn't see Dominic's face, but I imagine that it looked pretty scary.

He turned around to me and asked, "Are you okay?" Then he saw the wound on my side and his eyes widened in concern,"Rania-"

"I'm fine," I said weakly,"Where's Christian? He probably needs help."

"Zora's got him covered." Dominic assured me. I was starting to get dizzy from the blood loss and I knew I needed some nectar or ambrosia, but I had to know he was okay.

Then Zora stumbled up to us and sat down. She had a nasty cut on her arm and she had tears in her eyes, though I don't think it was from the pain.

"Where's-" I started. Then she looked at me and I knew. Christian had been taken or killed.

"They took him," she told me, "I couldn't save him and now he's gone."