13 • Truth Hurts More Than Lies

••••••Apartment Rooftops3:46pm

••••••
Apartment Rooftops
3:46pm

Madeline's eyes were closed shut and all she felt were the warm presence of crackling in her hands. The space between her eyebrows furrows in concentration as her fingers twitch and try to contain the flickering flames dancing upon her palms.

In the back of her head, there were constant cunning whispers but she tried her hardest to contain them.

She opened her eyes, seeing the broad daylight shine above and looks down at her hands. She concentrated on the burning red raging fires with the spot of blue flashing occasionally, scorching off her bandages and creating ash that rises in the air.

But eventually, she couldn't take it anymore and lets go. The red fire comes back fully and brighter than ever. It got so big that she had to quickly stand up and run over to the bucket of water she poured three hours ago once again to put them out.

Steam arose from the water as the fire burned away and caused her skin to tingle a little. She winced as she felt the cold water pierce her skin and swiped her hands out once she couldn't bare the feeling.

She looks at herself down in the bucket of water with millions of thoughts crossing her mind.

You keep trying, but you fail.

You'll never be able to control it, it'll always be there.

Suddenly, she felt a ball of fire explode in her chest and she grab hold of the bucket of water, picked it up, and threw it across the rooftop with a scream of anger.

Water ended up spilling on her hands while doing so, but it just evaporated into thin air as it did. The plastic had melted into a sticky goo where she had picked it up and now the water was everywhere, sleeping into the pebbles.

She felt her nose sting, telling her tears were threatening to form, but she tried to hold them in the best she could.

The young Osborn has been up here ever since Peter had left for school, practicing trying to contain her abilities but ultimately failing.

She legs felt wobbly and her stomach hurt from missing breakfast and skipping lunch. She hadn't been drinking or eating that much and she hoped Peter hadn't noticed or else she knew he'd worry.

She collapsed on her hands, palms being pricked by pebbles as they tried to hold her steady. Her teeth were biting her lip so hard, it begun bleeding, and the messy strands of short brown hair covered her face.

Madeline tried not to cry, but her lips let out a sob as she wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

=====

His number one goal was to find the girl, to try and come up with a way to tell her everything about how Harry was still alive but dying and the danger she was in.