•Chapter 1•

Hey I'm Claire and this is my story. Let's start off with how I live...

"Claire get down here now!" my foster mother yelled from downstairs. I couldn't leave her waiting because then the same thing that happened yesterday would happen today. I quickly go downstairs and reply

"Yes Tina?" I don't call her mom because she isn't my mom.

"Mail for you." she mumbles and hands me a white letter.

"Thank you Tina." I say politely.

"Mhmm." She hums as she looks at the rest of the mail and I jog upstairs to my room and close the door quietly.

I see who it's from and it's from my sister Laila! I haven't heard from her in so long. She used to live here with Tina and I but Tina hit her a lot and didn't hit me for some unknown reason. Laila left because she thought Tina wouldn't lay a finger on me and boy was she wrong but I never put that in my letters to Laila.

Dear Claire,

How you holding babe? I'll be back soon I hope. You know I didn't leave you, I left Tina because of her damn abuse but I know she wouldn't put a hand on you that's why I let you stay there. It was hard...real hard when I left you. But I'm sure I made the right decision. Now you need to read carefully, okay? you need to leave. Leave! Run away and don't turn back! Do you understand me Claire? Grab my old duffel bag and pack as much clothes as you can quickly and slip through the window quietly making sure that Tina doesn't hear you. Take this letter and all other letters I have ever sent you and take them with you, okay? Then go to the end of the block to the left of the house and keep running straight until you hit a park. Try to befriend some one older about my age(19 or older) and try to let them take care of you but don't share any information even the fact that I'm your sister. It's for your own good. You stay strong and I'll come to you when I come, okay? Goodbye Claire.

I'm 14 and my 20 year old sister is telling me to run away and live with some stranger for my own good. But it's not as crazy as it sounds, I mean Tina is nothing but a stranger hitting us and only giving us food when it was 'absolutely necessary'?

I do exactly what I'm told to do. I pack clothes in Laila's old duffel bag and slip through the window and falling quietly on the grass on the side of the house. Now...now I run... I run to see what's in store. In the middle of my running, I glance back at the house knowing that I just left the most important thing behind, my childhood.