Chapter Twenty Eight- I Thought we Were in Love

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   28  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The library was a little louder than usual. The losers (minus Ben who had snuck off to write the school paper) chatted amongst themselves before their morning classes.

The library doors opened and Richies boots thumbed against the floor. Eddie looked up at him from where he sat at a table and smiled at him,
"Hey bubba, where've you been?"

He got up to hug Richie but Richie had put his hand out and stopped Eddie. Richie had been thinking all night, about what his dad said, about the gang, about the deal with Bills parents.

Eddie raised an eyebrow in confusion but stepped back nonetheless.

"Eddie. I don't want to be together anymore. I'm breaking up with you."

The library fell silent and Richie just stared down at Eddie. Eddies cheeks became red and his lip quivered, his eyes pooled with hot tears ready to spill at any movement.

" but.... why? Did I— I thought we were..." he couldn't think of any words or stay focused with the tears in his eyes. His heart threatened to jump from his chest and shatter on the floor at any minute. He stared up at Richie who had an emotionless expression, as if it was nothing to dump Eddie like this.

Richie felt himself begin to fall apart at the sight of Eddie. He blinked away his tears and shook his head, "no."

Eddie looked down at the ground and fidgeted with his hands, "is it... is it because of the scars?" He hoped that Richie would say no. God he couldn't let the best thing to ever happen to him leave all because of his mother.

Richies chest got tight and he wanted nothing more than to hug Eddie and tell him that his scars had nothing to do with it. But he couldn't. He just stared down at Eddie as the smaller boy finally looked up at him.

He looked over at Beverly and then turned to walk out of the library. Bev followed behind and everything stayed silent until the library doors closed behind him.

Eddie stayed in his spot, facing away from the others and frozen. The tears spilled from his eyes and he let out a whimper. His hands began to shake and he held them at his chest.

It is the scars isn't it?

Finally Bill stood up and ran over to Eddie and engulfed him in a hug. Eddie cried against his chest and felt Stans hand land on his back and rub up and down.

"I thought h-he really liked me" Eddie hiccuped into Bills shirt.

"I'm s-so sorry Eddie..."

"I'm gonna go see what happened," mike left the group to follow Richie before anyone could say anything.

The first bell rang but no one bothered to move from Eddie. He sobbed on Bill and hugged him back tightly.

Why now? Why so suddenly? What did he do? Did Richie really even like him? Is it because of the scars on his back?

And suddenly, everything Richie said became a cruel joke and one big lie.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Richie tried to walk down the halls as fast as he could without bringing attention. Tears were wetting his cheeks and his heart was being shattered piece by piece. He didn't want to. But he had to protect Eddie from himself.

"Richie Tozier you get the fuck back here!" Beverly yelled from down the hall. Kids stared but began moving to their classes as the first bell rang. Richie stopped but refused to look at Beverly in the empty cafeteria.

"What the fuck was that?! You broke his heart—"

Richie finally turned to look at her. She stopped once she seen the tears on his cheeks.

"Yeah?" He said in a weak voice.

"Why? I thought everything was okay?" She asked, less mad and more worried.

Richie looked at her, but knew he couldn't tell her that he's officially in the gang. He promised his dad. Mike appeared from behind a corner and ran up to Bev and Richie.

"Guys what—" he took one look at Richie and moved forward to hug him, Richie returned it and cried on Mikes shoulder

"I didn't want to" was all he said. Was all he could say

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Eddie, Bill and Stan had stayed in the library all day, hiding behind shelves and stacks of books.

"I don't understand" Eddie had curled himself into a ball and pulled his knees to his chest. His face was flushed with tears.

"We d-don't either. He n-never seemed l-like he w-wanted to" Bill handed Eddie a water bottle and he took a drink.

"It'll be okay though, we're here for you" Stan reassured.

Eddie smiled slightly but he couldn't keep his mind off of Richie. Everything that happened.

The first time they kissed under a sunset at the quarry, their first date at the carnival, the way they cuddled on Richies bed, the many times they went out to get milkshakes, and the tattoo of his own name on Richies waist.

Why?

"Is it stupid that I'm crying over a boy I met only five weeks ago?" Eddie chuckled sadly to himself and rested his head on his knees

"Not at all. He treated you like you put the stars in the sky and now he's leaving you" Stan said in a deadpan. Bill and Eddie both looked at him before Eddie began to bawl again.

Eddie stood up and wiped his tears, "Maybe I should just talk to him! What if it's a misunderstanding?" Eddie began to walk off but bill pulled him back

"N-No. you might m-make it worse." Bill pulled Eddie gently to the ground again where he sat.

"I'll talk to Mike, see if he found anything out." Stan pulled out his phone and sent a text to mike, he got a reply moments later, "come to the farm. Just you" He read aloud.

"Schools almost ou-out. We can
h-head home now." Bill stood up grabbing his back pack.

Eddie looked up at bill, "I don't want to go home."

Bill smiled down at him and held his hand out, "You c-can stay at mine.
S-Stan will f-figure this out."

Eddie nodded and they took the bus to Bills house.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"Why. And it better be good or I'll have to beat the sh—"

Mike covered his mouth with his hand and pulled him into the barn loft.

"I don't know. But he was crying. Something must of happened between them." Mike removed his hand

"Eddie said they were fine." Stan crossed his arms. Mike rubbed his neck and shrugged

"I don't know then. He wouldn't talk to me or Bev."

Stan stepped in to hug Mike and kiss his cheek. "Eddie isn't okay."

"Neither is Richie."

"Then what do we do?"

Mike looked at Stan and shrugged, "I don't know if we can do anything."

chris