Chapter 15

Friday 20th August 1965

The Yellow Room

6pm

Tonight the nation were going to find out that the First couple were expecting again. Jack and Jackie were going to do a live interview after Pierre had made the official announcement.

They were standing watching the screen waiting for Pierre.

He soon entered. “Good Evening, just to let you know immediately after this briefing the President will be joined by Mrs Kennedy and they will be doing a live interview regarding what I’m about to announce.” Pierre said. “I’m pleased to announce the President and First Lady are expecting another child and it will be due in December. However, the President has made a special request that their privacy be respected as it’s a family affair.”

Back in the Yellow Room Jack and Jackie were sitting on the sofa. Jackie was beginning to show a hint of a baby bump but Jack thought she looked lovely in the red dress she had on. “You okay kid?”

Jackie turned to look at him “I’m fine.”

Jack nodded. The interviewer had just sat down in front of them and the TV camera; it was just going to be a half hour interview. They all waited till the camera light went red.

“Good Evening Mr President, Mrs Kennedy it’s an honour to join you this evening.”

Jackie smiled graciously.

“Obviously we’re here to talk about the recent news that your expecting your fifth child, I offer you my congratulations.”

“Thank you.”

“Was it a joint decision that you wanted another baby or did it just happen?”

Jack turned to look at Jackie. “I think it had both crossed our minds but we didn’t really talk about it to earlier this year.”

Jackie nodded.

“When is the baby due?”

“December.” Jackie replied.

“Are you hoping for a boy or a girl Mrs Kennedy?”

“Oh I don’t mind as long as it’s healthy.”

“Have you thought about any names?”

“Not really but I’m sure Jack will have had some thoughts.” Jackie said as she turned to look at her husband.

“Have you Mr President?”

“Maybe.”

Jackie laughed.

“How did Caroline and John react?”

“Well we took them out for ice cream and we said what do you think the baby would want, Caroline got what I meant straight away and went am I really going to be a big sister again, she was so happy.” Jackie smiled thinking back to the happy memory.

“What about John?”

“Caroline told him he was going to be a big brother but he was more interested in the ice cream but he took more notice when we got home.”

“He’s very excited now though.” Jack added.

“Yes very.”

“How did your families react?”

Jack and Jackie looked at each other and laughed. “Well we haven’t actually told them yet, we only told the kids and a few secret service agents our families didn’t find out till tonight.”

“You obviously want the press to respect your privacy but will the new Little Kennedy be in the limelight after its birth?”

“We’ll see, he or she will be brought up just as Caroline and John have been, so we hope he or she will have a normal childhood.” Jack replied.

Once the red light on the camera went of Jack embraced Jackie tightly and placed his hand on the small baby bump. “I love you.”

“I love you to bunny.”

“Come on we better go to the residence and wait on Bobby’s visit.”

Jackie giggled and took his hand.