Chapter thirteen: The Truth

I didn't tell Will the truth behind Emma. I didn't figure it was any of his business even though he's my friend doesn't mean I have to tell him.

I made up an excuse about how she was a friend of mine, so he wouldn't be suspicious of anything.

Even though there's really nothing going on with her and I. Literally nothing, but sometimes people take it a little differently than others.

As I was getting ready the next morning, I could not get Emma out of my head. Last night made me realize that I shouldn't step away from all the confusion that she's bringing.

Even though it's none of my business what happens in her life, that was the second time I caught her and that Paul guy arguing behind the store.

Which makes me question a lot of things about her; what were they fighting about? And why couldn't they argue somewhere else? Why that particular place?

I need to find out, especially if she's still with him because if she is then I might as well back off.

But something tells me that I wouldn't back off.

Kaylee and I met in our usual spot in the parking lot. We didn't get breakfast that morning, although we do sometimes, but since she already ate at home, I just grabbed a coffee on the way here.

"Do you always drink coffee?" Kaylee ask as we walk into the building.

I shook my head as I took a sip from my cup. "Not always." I smiled at her as she rolled her eyes. "What's the problem?"

"Coffee isn't good for you." She said as we rounded the corner.

I stop to stare at her and she stopped a few feet away. "Says who?"

"My mom used to be a coffee addict."

I gave her a confused look. "Used to?"

She nods. "She doesn't drink it often anymore."

"Well how often did she drink it?" I asked as we started walking.

"She used to drink it during the night when she couldn't sleep."

We walked into the classroom and I stared at her. "Wait," I said once we got to our table. "she would drink it to help her sleep or?" I said, confused.

Kaylee sat down then shrugged as I sat with her. "I'm not sure. Coffee doesn't make you sleep." I stared at her as she was staring somewhere else before looking back at me. "My mom had issues."

I chuckled as I grabbed my backpack and pulled out some paper. I wasn't sure on what we would be discussing today, but when I looked towards the front of the classroom, I didn't see Emma anywhere.

"What time is it?" I asked as I leaned over towards Kaylee.

She took her phone out then checked the time. "Three minutes until seven." She looked at me. "Why?"

"Mrs. White isn't here." I said as I looked around and noticed that almost everyone was here.

Kaylee looked around too. "Huh, I wonder where she is."

I thought about last night, but couldn't understand that if she did miss today, then why didn't she miss the other day when the same thing happened?

After a few minutes, I heard the door to the classroom open and Emma came walking in with a sympathetic look on her face as she went to the front of the room.

"Sorry I'm late." She placed some things down on the table next to her computer.

Some guy raised his hand and she pointed at him. "Can we not do anything today?" Everyone else immediately agreed with him and Emma looked around the room.