Chapter twenty nine: Everything is alright

Sorry for the long wait!

I woke up to someone rubbing my face. When I opened my eyes, I saw Emma staring at me with the most loving eyes that I could ever see in a person.

I stretched for a moment until I rolled over on my back and stared at her. "What time is it?"

"It's a little after nine. How are you feeling?"

I watched her for a moment until a smile formed on my face. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

"Do you remember what happened last night?" She stared at me.

I thought for a moment then shook my head. "No, what?"

"I don't know." She stared at me. "You woke up, I guess from a nightmare, and you were having troube breathing." She continued to stare at me with worry in her eyes.

As I thought more about it, I now remember. I never wanted Emma to see that, but it was something I had no control over.

"I was so scared, Dakota. I didn't know what to do." I could see the worry in her eyes and it broke my heart for her to have to see that.

"I'm sorry." I sighed.

She gave me a confused look. "Why are you sorry?"

"Because I didn't want you to have to see what I go through." I placed my arms over my face. "I never wanted you to see that."

She grabbed my arms and pulled them away from my face. We stared at each other for a moment. "You don't have to be sorry, Dakota. Yes, it was frightening, but it is ok." She searched my eyes. "Are you going to tell me exactly what it was all about?"

I shrugged. "Maybe, but not right now."

She smiled. "That's fine. I'll wait whenever you're ready." She leaned down and pressed her lips against mine. I smiled against them but soon missed the feeling when she pulled away. "Breakfast is ready if you're hungry."

I nod as she got up off the bed. "Emma?" I called out before she reached the door. She turned around and I smiled at her. "I love you."

She smiled back. "I love you."

After she left the room, I laid there as I was staring at the ceiling. I couldn't help but feel better about the whole nightmare thing now that Emma knows and she isn't freaking out like I thought she would.

I just don't know when I'll be able to tell her the story behind them.

-

After I had went downstairs and ate, I was sitting in the living room as Emma and Veronica was in the kitchen.

They were talking about something but I wasn't really paying attention. I heard Veronica say that she was leaving, and she came in the living room for a moment to tell me bye.

After she had left, I got up and walked into the kitchen to see Emma placing things in the cabinets. I walked up behind her and wrapped my arms around her and leaned my head against her back and stood there as I heard the faint beat of her heart.

She grabbed my arms from the front and we stood there in each other's embrace for a few moments. I couldn't imagine any other way to be happier because this is happiness.

I heard the front door shut followed by footsteps in the kitchen. I released Emma as I turned around to see Emily standing there with her backpack on her back.

Emma turned around to see her daughter standing in the kitchen. "Emily? What are you doing home?"

She looked at both of us before her eyes settled on her mom's. "I got suspended."