Chapter Twenty Five: Problems Can't Solve Their Own

"Ok everyone, don't forget that your tests will be in a few days so please study." Emma handed out review packets for everyone.

I stared down at the paper that was in front of me, but I couldn't focus on anything at the moment.

My only focus was on everything that was happening outside of classes. It was to the point where I wasn't paying attention in any class and I was falling behind.

I don't even think I had enough sleep the last few days from all of this. It's just too much on my mind and I can't focus.

"What's wrong, Dakota?" Kaylee asks as she was staring at me.

I shrugged as I didn't want to get into any details, and I know for sure that telling Kaylee something this big may not be the best option.

"I just haven't been sleeping good lately."

Which isn't a lie. I've been having those nightmares again, and it's driving me insane. Since my mom is staying with me, I told her and since she knows about them, she just held me and told me that it will be ok.

But it won't ever be ok.

I will never not have these nightmares. They will always be there, and nothing or no one will ever make them go away.

"Have you tried sleeping pills?" Kaylee suggested.

I shook my head. "What are they going to do? I don't want medicine for my problem."

"Everyone goes through insomnia, Dakota. It's nothing to worry about."

If only she knew this was much bigger than insomnia. If only she knew that I had the same nightmare over and over and over again, with no end. If only she knew exactly what I was going through.

But she doesn't.

And I will not put that on her.

After class ended, I slung my backpack over my shoulder and was walking to the door when Emma called my name to stay back.

I watched as everyone left, then I turned to her as she was standing up and walking towards me. "What's going on Dakota?" She crossed her arms as she stared at me.

I shrugged. "I don't know what you mean."

"You're failing my class."

I looked down. "I'm sorry."

"No, don't say you're sorry Dakota. I don't want to hear your apologizes, I want to see improvement. Why are you failing?"

I looked up at her then shrugged. "I don't know. I'm sorry."

She stared at me. "Dakota, I am talking to you as your instructor, not your girlfriend. I want to know why you're failing."

"I don't know!" I yelled. "Damn, get off my back." I walked out the door and slammed it behind me.

I didn't need to hear it from my other instructors, and I damn sure didn't need to hear it from Emma.

I'm failing, I know.

There's nothing I can do.

-

I needed my mind off of things, so I decided to come over to Will's and beat his ass in Madden.

"Cheater!" He yelled.

I laughed as I stared at him. "Sore loser!"

He pushed me to where I fell off the bed and landed on my ass. He laughed at me as he looked down at me. "Oops."