Chapter Thirty: A Surprise

I walked into my apartment to see Scarlett, Kyle and my mom in the living room. I saw my mom holding her suitcase and I stared at her for a moment.

"What's going on?" I asked them.

My mom had texted me a few minutes ago and told me to come to my apartment. I wasn't sure why, so I hurried back to find out why.

"I have to go home, sweetie." My mom said as she walked over towards me.

"Why?" I asked.

Scarlett and Kyle came walking towards us and I looked at them then back at my mom. She sighed. "I have some business to take care of. I'm sorry." She pulled me into a hug.

I hugged her back. "It's ok, mom. I understand." When we pulled back, I looked at her. "When are you going to be back?"

"Next week?"

I smiled then nodded. "Sounds good."

Scarlett and Kyle both gave me a hug. "We'll see you soon, kid." Scarlett smiles.

"Shut up."

I walk out with them as I watch them go over to the car and placed my moms bags in it. My mom walks back towards me and hugs me. "It's ok, Dakota."

I looked at her as we pulled apart. "What do you mean? I'm fine."

"I know when my daughter is unhappy."

I rolled my eyes then looked at her. "I just didn't want you to leave so soon."

"I will be back."

I stared at her as I slowly nodded.

It wasn't the fact that she was leaving, it was the fact that every time she gets in a vehicle, I fear that she won't come back.

Like my dad.

I never told her this because I didn't want to talk about it. I always get a wave of fear when my mom leaves or comes down to stay or visit. I'm afraid that I won't ever see her again, and something bad is going to happen.

"I know, mom." I watched as she smiled back. "I think I'm going to talk to someone."

She stared at me for a moment. "About what?"

"My nightmares." I said. Which wasn't just about them.

She smiled then hugged me. "That's great, baby. You'll get through this."

I tightened my arms around her before releasing then watching her walk to the car. We waved one last time before she got in and I watched until they were pulling away and out of the parking lot.

I turned around then suddenly screamed as Will was standing there. I held my hand over my heart. "You scared the shit out of me."

He smiled. "Sorry."

I looked at him for a moment. "Where the hell have you been?" I asked. "I haven't seen you in forever."

"I've been around." He smiled.

I gave him a confused look. "Well that doesn't sound creepy at all." I watched as he chuckled. "Seriously, where have you been?"

"I had to go out of town to help my uncle with some shit."

We walked into my apartment then walked in the kitchen. I turned around to look at him. "Sounds like you had fun."

"If you knew my uncle, you wouldn't think it was fun. He's an idiot." Will leaned on the counter.