Flashback

Jin's POV

Throughout the drive, all I could think about was that boy. I really felt for him and I wanted to help him but I didn't know how. I wasn't paying any attention to the road. Suddenly the taxi stopped and after a brief moment of confusion, I saw my house. I paid the driver and walked through the front yard to reach the front door. I tapped my pockets to see which one jiggles. After I found the right one, I reached inside and got out my keys. I opened the door, got inside the house and locked.

The sun had already set so I decided to skip the shower and start cooking. I left the bags on the counter and got out the necessary kitchenware. I started cooking my delicious meal. I seasoned the steaks and placed them on a non-stick frying pan. I cooked them until they were well done. I prepared the salad and after everything was ready, I made the table. I lit some candles and got a nice wine glass to treat myself with some fine wine. I sat on the table and enjoyed my dinner.

After I was done with my meal, I got up and got the cake out of the box. I placed it in the middle of the table and I walked towards a drawer. I opened it and got out of it a small napkin. I unrolled the rolled napkin and revealed a single, used birthday candle. It was the same one I've been using for the past five years. It was almost burnt out but I didn't want to change it. I placed the candle in the middle of the cake and lit it up. "Happy birthday I guess" I said to myself before blowing out the candle. I wrapped it back to the wax-stained napkin and I placed it back inside the drawer. 

I was full from the dinner but dessert is dessert! I cut a big slice out of the cake and I ate it. I didn't bother using a fork or a plate for that matter. After I was done, I washed my hands and placed the rest of the cake into the refrigerator. Memories kept coming back so I decided to go take a shower to calm myself down. I took off my clothes and got into the shower. I adjusted the water temperature to my liking and stepped under the warm running water. I applied shampoo and body wash and I rinsed my self afterwards. After I was done cleaning myself up, I just stood there, thinking about the past, thinking about what could have been and where it led. "If only I was more careful..." I was punishing myself for what happened then, every single day. I felt tears coming out of my eyes so I decided to end my self punishment and got ready for bed.

I stepped out of the shower and dried myself up. I put on some underwear and headed to bed. I laid down and got under the covers. My mind kept thinking about that bitter day. I tried myself to distract myself by looked at my phone. I scrolled down through my Instagram feed. I suddenly came across a picture that Kai had just uploaded. It was just him and Xiumin, they were out for drinks. A perfect brother-bonding moment. That made me think of my brother and how much I've missed him over the past years. We haven't talked ever since that day and even though I tried reaching him many times, nothing ever works. Eventually I gave up trying and I hated myself for that. I liked Kai's picture and commented something witty and funny. Suddenly my thoughts shifted to that boy. I was wondering what his backstory was and what happened to make him end up begging for food on the side of the street. I decided to go back there tomorrow morning and offer him more food. Maybe after a few times he would trust me enough to open up. I wanted to help him get back on his feet because I saw myself in him. His honest eyes and his good will. Someone helped me when I was in need so now it was my turn to return the favor. I plugged my phone in the charger  and placed it on the night table. I was really tired so I fell asleep with ease.

The morning came and rays of sun came in through the window. The light woke me up and I rubbed my eyes to adjust to the bright environment. I got up and got dressed for work. After I washed my face and brushed my teeth, I wore my suit and tie, grabbed my briefcase and my phone and walked out of the door. I got inside my car and drove off. After a thirty minute drive, I finally reached my destination. I got inside the building and walked down the hall to the faculty office. "Good morning everyone" I said with a bright smile on my face. After everyone replied, I got some papers and headed to teach my class. I opened the door and everyone was already waiting inside. I had a test prepared for them. I told them about it last week so they could be prepared.

"Good morning class!" I exclaimed, "Good morning Mr. Kim" everyone spoke in unison. "It's an easy test so you don't have to worry. Afterwards, we can continue practicing harmonies." I left the papers for them to pass out among them. "You have thirty minutes". Everyone picked up their pens and started answering the questions. I've been teaching in this private school for about one year and a half. I'm their music theory and vocal teacher. I really like it here and I like to think that they like me too.

I sat behind my desk. My mind wondered off again. My thoughts went back to the young beggar. Why was I obsessing over him? Could he be my opportunity to redeem myself for what I did then? I kept thinking of ways to approach him without looking like an evil lunatic. I decided that the best way was to buy him food again and some water maybe. A voice interrupted my daydreaming. "Mr Kim?" A student was standing in front of me. "Oh I'm sorry Ms. Min, I wandered off." I took the paper from her hands and she sat back down. I looked at the clock to see how much time the students had left. "OK class, you've got five more minutes." You could hear the pencils fire up in an attempt to make it in time. After the five minute period I announced that the time was over and collected the papers. "OK time for harmonies now, I'll need a volunteer!"...

The rest of the school went as always. I graded the tests on launch break and I was pleased by the results. Most of my class did good. I didn't have more classes for today so I took my leave. I got inside my car and drove back to the pastry shop.

"Good morning Rose!" I smiled towards the young cashier. "Good morning Jin, what brings you here?" she smiled back at me."I just wanted to give my regards to whoever made that delicious cake I bought yesterday!" I chuckled. "Me and my sister Jennie did!" she paused, "I saw what you did yesterday and I just wanted to say that I admire you for that". Her words made me blush. "T-Thank you" I stuttered while rubbing the back of my head. "If it's OK with you, I would like to go out with you someday" she said while smirking at me softly. My eyes opened wide "L-Like a date?". She chuckled at my awkwardness "Yes silly, like a date." She smiled with her mouth and eyes. I looked at the floor and then back at her, "I-I'm sorry Rose, I-I don't swing that way." I saw her take a surprised look while her mouth dropped to the ground. "Oh I'm sorry I-I didn't know..." she paused for a second, "So, how can I assist you?" a bright smile was back on her face again. "Yes! I would like some bagels and something with meat, like a slice of pizza with bacon or something. Oh, and two bottles of water!" She nodded and went to collect everything I asked for. She told me the price and I paid with cash. I walked towards the exit and thanked her for everything before I left the store. I searched around the block for the young man when I finally found him near a dumpster. He had just found a meal that was thrown inside the dumpster buy a restaurant nearby. I saw him open the box and separate the trash from the edible food. He took a bite of the meat when suddenly a stray dog walked towards him and poked him with it's snout. The young man took a piece of his meal and fed it the animal. It could have been his only meal in days but he decided to share it with his new companion. Suddenly a memory came back to me, a flashback. The night that I was thrown out of my house by my own family, I sought refuge to my only friend. He was living alone so he didn't mind having me around for some time, until I found a job and my own place. I remember the first time I laid on his floor, crying my eyes out because of what had happened, his dog came next to me and poked me with it's snout. It felt like it could feel my pain and anguish. At that moment I knew what I had to do.

I approached him slowly. "Hey there again." I smiled towards him so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. I gave him the food I bought earlier along with the water bottles. Tears fell down his eyes.

"Y-You didn't have to sir..." He started sobbing. The dog tried to lick his sadness away. "It's the least I can do Tae" I bend down to comfort him. "Please eat it, you need the food to survive." He opened the bag and started eating what I had bought for him. He gave the leftover meat for the dog to enjoy. After he was done he got one of the two water bottles and drank it whole. After he made sure that the animal had finished it's meal, he opened the second bottle and poured the water inside the lunch box. "Here you go buddy, enjoy!" he smiled while petting the dog's head. His actions moved me deeply.

"Thank you sir" he said with a bright teeth smile. He had a box smile and it was adorable. "Don't thank me yet." I replied. He looked at me confused. "You know, I've been unfortunate in the past too. I know how hard it is not having someone to love you or somewhere to stay." a tear ran down my cheek. "I-I don't understand." he mumbled.

In a moment of truth, I wiped the tears off his cheeks and pulled him up. "You're coming home with me."