Chapter 9

You lay in bed the next morning, thinking about what you had just heard. From what your father had said, you assumed a war would soon take place. It was worrying you so much, you didn't get any sleep the previous night. Finally relinquishing the idea of sleep, you rolled out of your bed, threw on a woolen sweater, and made your way to the dining room. Stopping outside the doors, you heard muffled talking. Probably a war meeting. Taking a deep breath, you pushed open the doors and stepped into the dining room. At once, all talking ceased, and all eyes were on you.
        "Morning father," you greeted, taking a seat next to him and helping yourself to a piece of toast. Your father gulped.
        "Good morning my princess,"
        "What is it I interrupted?" you asked sweetly. Looking around, you saw almost everyone you knew from this village. Even Dan was there, and it was him who spoke up.
        "We are planning a war, as I'm sure you've heard," you nodded.
        "How come I wasn't invited? It's not like I can't fight,"
        "That's the thing..." your father started. "We knew you would want to fight, but being our future ruler and all..."
        "So, I'm not allowed to fight?" Your father nodded hesitantly.
        "But that's not fair! Other girls get to fight! Why can't I?" Dan came over to you, putting his arm around your shoulders.
        "(Y/N), it's not like we can lock you up to stop you, but we would all be very worried if you did come." You shook him off.
        "Oh, I'm coming," Your father sighed. "When will the war take place?"
        "About two weeks from today," this came from Hiccup, who was staring at his plate.
        "I'll have to start training then,"
        "(Y/N) please-" you interrupted your father.
        "No father! I'm going to fight for my village just like everyone else, and there's nothing you can do to stop me!" Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Astrid roll her eyes, while clinging to Hiccup's arm. Pushing your sat out from the table, you marched from the room, ignoring the whispering behind you. You marched up to your room, put on some riding pants, and your brown leather jacket, and stormed back downstairs, sword in hand. On the way to the stables, you were stopped by Dan running towards you. He looked sad.
        "(Y/N), I'm begging you, please don't fight!"
        "Dan," you said, brushing his cheek lightly with your finger tips. "I'm not going to just sit around while you and everyone else are fighting to the death. I just wouldn't be able to bare it." Smiling sadly, you leaned up and pressed your lips to his. His arms wormed around your waist, holding you steady. After a few seconds you broke apart. "I love you," you told him, pressing your forehead to his.
        "You know I love you too (Y/N)." Dan kissed your head softly before jogging down the hall, and turning into another room around the corner. Tucking a strand of your (H/C) hair behind your ear, you continued down the corridor, out into the sunny morning, and into the stables. Reaching your dragon, you unlatched the rope holding her in place, and lead her outside.
        "We'd better start training (D/N)."

                                         .                                                                          .                                                                  .

        The next few days, all you did was train. From early in the morning, to late at night. You were quite skilled with a sword, and you decided to try out a bow. After a few more days, you were able to fight with it quite well. The eve of battle was coming closer and closer. You were only getting a few hours of sleep every night, leaving you quite exhausted. Now, only three days stood between you and the war everyone was dreading. You were on your way back to your room, when you passed Hiccup, walking side by side with Astrid.
        "Hiccup!" you called him over.
        "What," he grumbled quietly.
        "I just wanted to wish you good luck in battle," Hiccup looked taken aback.
        "Good luck to you too I guess," you nodded, continuing on your way back to your room. You didn't want to admit it, but you were kind of scared of the battle to come. You had never been in a battle before, and found you were dreading it. Taking a deep breath, you shook your head.
        "I'll fight until my last breath,"