Chapter Seven

TASNEEM
Time flies fast especially  when you have someone whom you share a lot of happy moments  with. Someone who never fails to make you feel like you matter to them  and you mean something even when you have doubts that you actually mean something to anyone and in my case it is my mom.  Abba called a few times  during the last three weeks that I have been back to school to enquire about my health and studies, whether I need more provision or pocket  money but my mother never for  once  called and it hurts like hell.

I use to feel envious of the way Maryam  talks to her mother, grandma whom she refers to as Mamma and Uncle Ahmad whom I refused to speak with for no reason at all. She's a happy girl who's being loved by all. She never speak about her dad and I never ask why.

The judgements and stares did not cease neither Afrah's hateful words every time I come to class. Maryam and I have become very close you can call us " tip&tyre" we do everything together only sleep keeping us apart since we are not in the same dorm. Her majesty  my bitter bunk mate is busy preparing for her mock finals  so she's finally cutting me some slack and I can breath a little better in my corner.

Today being  Sunday which means MSS day by 10am, I decided to wash our uniform before Maryam  wakes up from her beauty sleep. By Allah I've never seen someone that sleeps as much  as that girl. She never gets tired of sleeping it's  like she's a walking zombie  whenever she's feeling sleepy. Maryam  sleeps in class during lessons, in the masjid and during night prep in fact there was a day she starting sleeping in the refectory  giving me the flimsy defence of being super tired after serving punishment under the sun.

I was reciting  some verses while washing the clothes when I heard my name being called out.

"Yes" I replied  raising my head to see the owner of the voice.

It was a girl from  class whose name I can't remember  or don't even  know.

"Tasneem please help me with your government note. I lost mine and I have to recopy  everything " she asked fidgeting with her fingers. You see, it is not like I don't want to  borrow her my book or something, It is just that I am paranoid and suspicious when it comes  to my class mates whom I'm sure will have my head on a stake if given the chance especially people like this girl who have never spoken to me or smile at me for that matter.

"Okay" I said wiping my soddy hands on my dress motioning for her to follow me to my dorm to collect the said note. She thanked  me and left while  a part of me is screaming for me to tell her to bring  it back on Monday but I couldn't.

I was done and ready for MSS by the time Maryam wakes up and she glared at me seeing that her dirty uniform is missing.

"I guess I made it pretty clear to you that you're not allowed to wash alone without  me especially when there is more than two sets of uniform  Tasneem Marwan" she dramatically stated shooting daggers my way.  I pretended  to be fully immersed in the novel I was reading totally ignoring  her.

"I know you heard me and I'll soon deal with your attitude. You can't let me talk every  time  without saying  something. Your  quite attitude is illegal. Very illegal,  you should be imprisoned and fined or whatever for that " she kept ranting while removing  her jammies getting ready to have her bath.

" Hahaha I'm  laughing in Swahili. Tasneem will soon drive you crazy mad girl " chipped  in Adda Nabeela who is sitting on the floor solving  some further  maths problems.

" Let me ask you Adda. Between  this coconut quite witch and  I who is your cousin?  Blood will always be thicker than Water so you better choose me " Maryam retorted clearly getting agitated.