Chapter Thirty Eight

Ignore the typos and goofs. Just read on please.

MUKARRAM

It has been just three days after our arrival back home from the holy land, the pain I feel in my heart makes me wish that I stayed there because we don't communicate with  Tasneem  for the sole reason of giving all of my attention to worship and istighfar. She made me promise that I won't contact her until after I'm back. Had I known that this is what will happen to my innocent girl I won't have agreed to the deal and now what has happened had happened and I'm left with so much pain and fear.

I still have few more days to resume work giving me the time I needed to looking for her. The moment I saw Maryam at the airport I sensed that something is not right.  Instead of being her happy hyper self she burst into tears saying she's sorry, it's all her fault and now the only person that loves her truly is gone.

"Where is Tasneem?" I found myself asking.

"She's gone Uncle Mukarram. We have been looking for her for three weeks now" she sobbed out  hugging Mamma. My knees felt weak and I had to hold unto Ahmad for support who is also shocked.

"What happened Maryam? " Mamma managed to ask and she narrated everything that happened that day and even at school how she always shrug off Tasneem's paranoia that someone is stalking her.

"Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun " is what I said. My dad came later from Katsina and Mamma briefed him on what is going on. I refused to eat, sleep eluded me and I keep searching every nook and cranny of the town looking for her. I keep calling her line like a maniac sending her messages begging her to be safe.

I was so exhausted after my futile search when Abba's call came through jolting me awake from slumber.

"Mukarram Tasneem just called. They are going to kill her,  please take the police to her mother's house and force any information we can get out of her ASAP" he frantically give me the direction telling me that he's on his way to the divisional headquarters to trace the call.

"Okay!  I will contact you if we get anything from her" I didn't bother to change from the Jallabiyah I was wearing since our return before calling out to Ahmad for backup.

"Go call the police,  I will go there first to see if she will talk without duress" I instructed swerving the car in reverse.  Ahmad nodded as I drove off.

Ummah's family house is easy to locate since her late father was a renowned figure in the community. I didn't wait for the gate man to open the gate for me before storming into the house  on foot leaving my car outside.

They are going to kill her!!!!

I kept seeing her lifeless body in my arms as I walk through the front door of the house shouting Umma's name.

"Where is she?  If you have a heart in your chest please tell us where she is. She doesn't deserve all these " I shouted on top of my voice. The gate man was telling me to get out when an elderly version of Tasneem came out asking what is wrong. In between short breaths I told her about Tasneem's abduction and the phone call she made to Abba.

"Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun!!!  We haven't seen Binta and Nawal for over two months now young man. Her brothers refused to look for her saying she went to the men she's hooking up with. Her phone is off and all attempt to reach her seems futile "

"But Mama, don't you know the name of the man she claims to be Tasneem's father?  That will give us a clue? "  I prodded feeling helpless.

" I once heard her saying he's a ruthless politician and she will extort money from him before telling him about Tasneem since she heard that he is now impotent" she offered looking worried and confused.