Chapter Seventeen

TASNEEM

The next day I told Maryam what I did to Umma and instead of supporting what I did, as expected she reprimanded me.

"Honestly what you did is uncalled for and way too much Tasneem. I know that she deserves it but islamically, she deserves your respect no matter how badly she behaves with you. You shouldn't have done that especially during your grandfather's funeral. Don't forget that your jannah lies beneath her feet.

Don't repeat what you did please. If you can't stand her just ignore her okay?

She hurts you and hates you, She acted like she doesn't want you in her life but she would've aborted you when she had the chance, she nursed you in her womb for nine months and only God knows how hard that was for her to live with the guilt of having you.  when you were born, she catered for you and the one good thing she has done is discipline you according to the dictates of Islam. Do you think that if she has abandoned you, you'd grow up to be a good muslimah? Just think about how Allah will be angry with you for disobeying the one person Him and His Messenger told us to love and respect, to pity when she gets old,  to treat with kindness and never raise our voice above hers? As you always tell me Tasneem, to be the better person in every situation so why don't you return evil with good? Who knows maybe because of that Allah will forgive your sins and grant you a home in jannah?

I'm not asking you to forgive her now or forget what she did, but please let go of your hatred and have some respect for her okay? You mend my relationship with my dad the very day I told you about him and I'd be a hypocrite if I tell you to do otherwise no matter how bad the situation is"

Another beautiful dream. I don't want to wake up from this one.

"In shaa Allah I'll try my best. Thank you Darling, God bless you" I said wiping away a stray tear because by Allah she is right and I can't help but think about what I did and mark it as very bad. I'll apologize to Binta on phone when I get her number in shaa Allah.

"Uncle A called earlier when you were in the bathroom. He said they will bring our graduation clothes and souvenirs next week"

"Ohh that'd be nice. May God spare our lives to see that day. Finally we are going to be graduates with NFA( No future ambition)" I said with a voice dripping with sarcasm. I was excited by the prospect of graduating when I was in ss1, but not anymore. I just want to finish school and be free.

Maryam laughed a mirth less laugh " NFA indeed. We really should decide what we want to study in the university. Like what we are passionate about " she added.

I shrugged "that has been decided by the courses we chose in JAMB"

"Are you really sure sociology and Economics are the best choice?" She asked feigning to be scared.

"Yah Allah! Would you rather study law than sociology or Economics??" I glared at her.

"I'd rather hug my secondary school certificate till I die than study law. Me that is a lazy bum,  I'll be in the university for five years then law school before serving the nation. Nah! I'll pass, you're the bookaholic, you can study the law for us" the drama queen is in action .

I laughed out loud saying " just tell me you can't wait that long to get married. You can get married in school, it is allowed you know"

She flailed  her arms in the air " I don't even have a boyfriend Miss Softy. I'm as single as number one. It is you who have a suitor that should start thinking of marriage "

"Maybe you get that info in your dreams so I'll reserve my comment"

"Ha ha ha ha you're still acting as clueless and naive as a fourteen year old. Madam,  Uncle Mukarram loves you, just wait he will propose the moment he gets the chance. Can't you see that he's smitten by you? He only willingly talks to you and Uncle A as an exception. That man that will come to our house just listening to our conversations without adding anything. His body shakes whenever he sets his eyes on you"