Chapter Twenty Three

TASNEEM

My phone beeped indicating another incoming message before we finish eating.  Maryam raised a brow asking why I didn't check who the message is from.  I told her that I will, but after we finish eating.

I honestly was expecting to see a message from Aunty Hadiza telling me that she won't come today,  disappointing me yet again but it was a message with a heart emoji and thumbs up from an unknown number.  I hissed before taking the book lying on bed.

"Who texted you? " Maryam asked after coming back from the kitchen to keep the plates  we used.

"Allahu A'alam,  Only God knows " I shrugged nonchalantly handing her the phone to see for herself.

"His hate for speaking is to another level. Who on earth replies a thank you message with emojis? " Maryam said laughing with gusto.

"Who's that?do you know whose number it is? "  I asked getting confused.

"You're too dumb to be the best student girl!  It's Uncle Mukarram you clueless human"

I gasped in surprise "How do you know it's him Maryam"

She rolled her eyes probably strangling me in her mind " Uncle A sent two numbers. I withhold this for blackmailing purpose in future. I guess the stars aren't in my favour apparently " 

"You really should consider studying drama and blackmail in university if that crazy combo exists"

"We are going to study Sociology in shaa Allah " she said in a sing song voice waltzing out of the room.

Almost thirty minutes have passed so I thought they must have left back to the office.

Unaware of the people in the room, I started talking with full confidence " I enjoy reading on that beautiful couch Mairo. Mamma should gift it to me when I'm going. Your room is scary by the way,  are you sure you're not doing something fishy when no one is looking? "

"I wonder when she becomes this talkative.  The effect of befriending my niece " a voice which I'm sure is that of Uncle A said.  Maryam  clutched her stomach laughing till she dropped on the floor.

I felt like the ground should open up and swallow me. Where is an invisibility cloak when I desperately need one??

I cringed in embarrassment and turned to leave the same way I came in.

"Where are you going my dear? Come and sit on your favorite couch. " Mamma's voice stopped me midway.  Adding "don't mind these two.  They act like babies. "

I didn't dare look at any direction of the room fearing that my eyes will collide with that of Uncle Mukarram.

"That was super awkward don't you think Softy? " Maryam wiggled her brows suggestively, I gritted my teeth.  Cursing the reason that made me talk that much which is totally unlike me.

"I  called your Aunt earlier.   She said that you can spend few more days with us before Maryam's departure. She will call you later" Mamma brought me back to the present. I just nodded fearing I might say something  embarrassing again when I open my mouth to speak.

"Today is the best day of my life oooh la la"Maryam teased sticking out her tongue. 

"Mukarram you should get the exact couch for your wife to be" Uncle A added.

"That won't be a problem you know?  Whatever she wants, in shaa Allah she gets" He replied getting up to leave the room not after he flashed me his pearly white teeth in a smile.