Chapter 2

Don felt like he had just fallen asleep when he heard his son fussing; as he looked at his clock on his bedside table he really didn't think that Brady could be hungry it was too soon and besides that, it didn't sound like Brady's hungry cry. He knew he and Meryl hadn't been asleep for long as she was still curled up in his arms and by the time on his clock. He quickly, and carefully, got out of bed so as not to disturb his wife when he realized she didn't even stir at Brady's cries which was very unlike her which told him she was exhausted. Don pulled a t-shirt on as he was just sleeping in pajama pants and quickly went over to the bassinets; he was relieved that Mags was still asleep. He quickly scooped Brady up in his arms. "Hey, Brady Boy, what's wrong buddy?" Don laughed that as soon as Don picked his son up that Brady started smiling and laughing. "Oh, you want to play, huh? Well, we don't want to wake Mommy and Mags up." Don kissed Brady's head. "Come on, buddy, let's go into your nursery so we don't wake up your mom or sister." Don said as he quietly left his bedroom and went next door to the nursery. "I know you haven't been in here that much-just to be changed and play every once in awhile. We haven't been home much, have we, Bubs? Well, that is changing. We'll be home for awhile. Don't be surprised if we go out to Salisbury, though; Mommy and Daddy love it out there and we know you and Mags will as well just as your brother and sisters did growing up." Don said sitting down on the floor in front of Brady's toys. "What do you want to play? It's obvious you are in the mood to play and not sleep." Don's heart melted as Brady snuggled his head into the crook of Don's neck as Don held him close. Don held his son even tighter as he breathed in his scent. "I'm glad I'm the one that woke up with you. We don't get much Daddy and Brady time, do we? Maybe we can change that now that we're home. We will just sit here for as long as you want, Bradley Michael. Daddy isn't going anywhere."

***

Meryl woke up cold and went to snuggle up to her husband and immediately opened her eyes when he wasn't there. When she lifted her head to see where he was she saw the hallway light filter in through their bedroom door that was cracked open. She couldn't imagine what he was doing; though they had an amazing first night home, she knew he was wrestling with demons before they got back to Manhattan, and she wanted to make sure he was okay. She got up and threw one of Don's sweatshirts over her nursing tank and pajama pants. She then went to check on their babies and was surprised to find Brady gone from his bassinet. Just a few days ago she would have been worried that something happened to her son and husband; but not anymore. They had made too much progress and healed too much for her to go there. She placed a kiss on her daughter's head before going to see where her husband and infant son went. She turned on the baby monitor in case Mags woke up, grabbed her phone and went on the hunt for a missing husband and son. Meryl didn't have to look long until she saw a light on in the nursery and the sweetest smile came to her face as she pushed the door open wider and saw Brady laying on his back under his play gym, asleep, with Don laying under the gym with Brady with his hand on his son's stomach, and he was also asleep. Meryl quickly took a picture of the beautiful scene with her phone before putting it in the pocket of her pajama pants. They were so peaceful and adorable that she hated to wake them up; but she knew Don's back would be killing him in the morning if he slept on the floor all evening; and she wanted to put Brady back in his bassinet as he was sleeping so well. She tried to be so careful and quiet as she went to move Brady's play gym until it started playing all kinds of music. "Fuck!"

"What the hell?!" Don said as he sat straight up, quickly, and hit his head on the toy. "Shit!"

Meryl quickly got the toy to stop playing music and put the toy down before running over to Don, sitting down beside him, grabbing his head in her hands. "Baby, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

"What?" Don asked looking around as he was still trying to wake up; then realizing where he was. "Oh, hi Darl. What in the hell just happened?"

Meryl sighed. "I'm so sorry, baby. I was moving Brady's gym so I could QUIETLY wake you up and get you two back to bed but the damn thing went off and you hit your head on it. I was really trying not to scare you."