Chapter 16

Don and Meryl had a great first night with the babies in Indianapolis. After their time reconnecting, they had a relaxing evening in their suite playing with their babies and eating room service as well as resting. They hadn't told Don's parents, or brothers and their families, they were there yet; they were simply enjoying the stress free down time. Don had talked to Dr. Abbott before they left to make sure it was safe for Meryl to travel, and when he did with Meryl reporting to Dr. Abbott how she was feeling, Dr. Abbott told them that Don no longer needed to wake Meryl up every few hours which thrilled Meryl not only for herself but especially for her husband. Dr. Abbott reminded them that a concussion as severe as Meryl's would take a little while to get over so to take it easy; he actually thought them getting away would do all of them a world of good. Both Don and Meryl had already seen a change in each other's stress levels; which affirmed to them that getting away from EVERYTHING was indeed the right call. After talking to their older kids, Don and Meryl enjoyed a bath together this time, and then went to sleep with their babies sleeping in the bassinets beside the bed feeling much more relaxed and at peace.

***
Meryl stirred awake when she no longer felt her husband's arms around her; she squinted to read the time on the alarm clock on the bedside table next to her and realized it was only 1am. She peered next to her and saw Brady was still asleep in the bassinet; and then turned over and a huge smile came to her face when she saw that Mags was asleep on Don's chest. Meryl was surprised she didn't hear Mags fussing; but realized that she must not have been too fussy or hungry or else she would have heard her fussy, she would have felt it in her breasts, and she knew her husband would have woken her up. Meryl had a huge smile on her face as she saw drool from their baby girl on her husband's t-shirt and how his head was rested on hers. Don and his girls. Don had an amazing relationship with Henry, even though it had it's bumps over the past year, and she knew he would with Brady as well as it was already forming; however, there was just something about a father-daughter relationship. She knew that from her own relationship with her father; and from watching Don with their older 3 girls. She couldn't wait to see that bond with Mags, and Brady, deepen. Since it was so early, and the babies weren't hungry, Meryl laid her head on her husband's shoulder thinking about when she was pregnant with their first little girl; and the thrills and concerns that came with that pregnancy.

***
Don and Meryl were headed out to their Millerton, NY home with a 3 year old Henry on a Friday afternoon after Meryl's latest OBGYN appointment. Both Don and Meryl were thrilled that her appointment went so well after her scare at Christmas almost 2 weeks before. Meryl's infection had cleared up, she was released for normal activity and their baby was perfect. After the stress of Christmas in Indianapolis, or attempted Christmas there, almost 2 weeks earlier and Meryl's cramps and spotting; she and Don were ready to get out into the country for the weekend with Henry. Don was feeling so much lighter after learning that Meryl was very healthy and their baby was doing so well; Meryl couldn't stop smiling. Though they were both still very nervous after everything that happened with William Walker 2 years before, they were beyond excited about this new baby and were already planning. Don looked in the rearview mirror and saw that Henry had fallen asleep when they were barely out of the city and he reached over to take his wife's hand in his, bringing it up to his lips. "How's my girl?"

"So happy." Meryl smiled at her husband. "I'm really feeling good today; not too much nausea."

Each step of progress she made calmed Don down even more. "Well, it is a going to be a weekend of resting and playing with Henry and eating. Taking walks. Playing games. How does that sound, beautiful?"

"Wonderful." Meryl winked at him; she was so relieved that he seemed to be himself again after everything with his parents the week before. "How about playing with each other since the doctor said it was okay?"