Chapter 48

After a relaxing time at Suzie and Henry's, Don and Meryl loaded the babies up and headed back to their penthouse; thanking their son and daughter-in-law for a relaxing night. Don was hopeful that was just what his wife needed, and once they got home she could truly rest, though he had a feeling that wouldn't happen until they knew about Dana's surgery. When they got home, Meryl got ready for bed and Don helped her get comfortable in bed with the babies; now that they were home, and she didn't feel like she had to be "on", she really felt everything crashing down around her. After changing into his own pajamas, Don went downstairs to make Meryl some hot tea, leaving her upstairs in bed with the babies. It wasn't until Meryl was alone with the babies, in the quiet of their bedroom, she felt all of her emotions being released and like she couldn't breathe. It was just too much. Everything was just too much. She didn't know how much more she could take; she knew she needed to keep going for Don and their children as she would do ANYTHING for them, she was just left wondering if she had the strength to face the next battle. She sat there, cross-legged on their bed, looking at her babies asleep in front of her as she cried uncontrollably only able to say one word...Don.
***

Don walked into their bedroom, carrying a tray of snacks and hot tea knowing it would help his wife after she nursed, not expecting to find his wife shaking and crying hysterically on the bed. He immediately sat the tray down on the dresser before running over to her. "Baby, what is it? What happened?"

"I can't..." Meryl sobbed. "Can't do...it...anymore..."

Don had no idea what in the hell she was talking about, but he was extremely worried about her. When he left the room only 15 minutes ago she was fine, and now she was struggling to breathe. "Okay, love, just take some deep breaths; I'm going to put the babies in their cribs in here and we can talk."

"NO!" Meryl's eyes were wide as she shook her head over and over. "Please don't take...them away from...me."

Don repositioned the babies on the bed so they were still close to his wife and took her head in his heads, pressing his forehead to hers. "No one is going to take them away from you, sweetheart; they are right here. Look into my eyes, sweetheart, look into my eyes and take some deep breaths."

"Can't..." Meryl breathed. "You'll see me...as...weak..."

Don tenderly kissed her lips over and over and over again. "NEVER; you are the strongest woman in the world, and I love you so much. Look at me and take some deep breaths."

"I'm sorry." Meryl whispered as she looked around; coming out of her little breakdown. "I broke down, didn't I?"

Don ran his fingers through her hair as he kissed her forehead. "I think you needed to; but baby, I really need you to talk to me. You said you can't do it anymore. What can't you do?"

"I'm just so tired, Don; all I want is you and the kids but it seems like something is always threatening us." Meryl choked. "I just can't shake this feeling that you and the kids are going to be taken away from me."

Don sighed; he NEVER wanted her to think he wouldn't always be there for her and the kids. He held her head tightly in her his hands. "I want you to listen to me, sweetheart; I know it has been a lot of shit lately. Yes, it seems like it is one fucking thing after another; but no matter what shit is thrown at us you will ALWAYS have me and our children. We are too strong for anything to happen to us. Together, we will protect our family. And if everything in our past hasn't proven it, there is NOTHING that can EVER take me away from you and our children. My god, I love you so much. You are part of me. You feel whatever you need to feel, and I am going to be there every step of the way."

"I love you so damn much, baby; you and the kids are everything to me." Meryl choked as she looked deep in his eyes; now a little calmer. "I think that's why I'm so scared; because everything seems to be okay and then the rug is ripped out from under me, under us."