Chapter 8

Don had gone out to check on the babies, thrilled to tell Third and Maeve that Meryl was awake. He was also relieved that the babies were still sleeping; teasing his brother and sister-in-law that of course they were still asleep when they weren't with Don and Meryl. Don explained that they were still waiting on the results of the tests and that he could try to get them to let the babies back there; but Third insisted that they weren't leaving until he knew what was going on with his sister. After loving on his babies for a minute, hating that they couldn't have the babies back with them knowing what good it would do for his wife, but he knew being with their aunt and uncle was what was best for the babies. He then went to tell a nurse that they needed to talk to Dr. Abbott as soon as possible; though it wasn't an emergency, he told the nurse that he thought it would help them figure out what happened with Meryl. He then made his way back to his wife's examination room and saw her looking down playing with her wedding ring. "There's the beautiful, beautiful, love of my life." Don saw the look on her wife when she tried to smile, but he knew something wasn't right. He immediately went to sit on her bed, facing her, taking her head in his hands. "Sweetheart, what's wrong? Did something happen?"

"I'm so so so incredibly sorry, Don." Meryl choked. "I really didn't mean for this to happen. I just didn't remember you giving me my medications. I hope you know that I didn't do this on..."

Don placed his fingers on his lips and then pressed them to hers. "NEVER EVER a doubt in my mind about that. Baby, it was an accident. It is part of having a concussion; and like I said, I think the concussion is worse than they originally thought. We're going to get to the bottom of it; and you are going to be just fine, my love."

"You always make sure of it." Meryl said kissing his hands. "I don't know how to thank you."

Don narrowed his wyes at her. "Thank me? Thank me for what?"

"For always knowing when something is off with me; and getting me help." Meryl said as she laced her fingers through his. "For saving my life...again."

Don couldn't resist her lips and brushed his lips across hers. "You save my life everyday just by being you."

"Sweet talker." Meryl winked as she was emotionally feeling better. "You know you lift my spirits just by being with me; just by looking at you."

Don ran his fingers through her hair. "Now whose the sweet talker?"

"So you talked to the nurse and asked Dr. Abbott to come in to talk to us?" Meryl asked her husband as he nodded. "Did you see our youngest babies?"

Don beamed at not only the mention of their babies; but at how his wife was such an amazing and loving and devoted mother. "Of course I did. They are sleeping away in their aunt and uncle's arms. I told Third and Maeve that I would try to get approval to have them back here with us; but they want to stay until we get the results of your tests. I told them if and when the babies are hungry then I'll make sure they get back here with us."

"Thank you, my love." Meryl smiled softly. "I'll be glad when they are back with us. The other kids?"

Don shook his head as he ran his fingers through her hair; knowing how much it calmed the both of them. "I didn't want to wake them up and worry them until I knew what was going on. I was just so scared and worried that I didn't know who to call. I also had a feeling I would need some extra hands to help with the babies up here; so I called Third and Maeve. Third offered to come to the penthouse to watch them but I didn't want to leave them behind."

"As always I'm glad I have you because you made every decision how I would have; thank you, baby." Meryl said as she lifted his hand to her lips.

Don shook his head as he then began to kiss her fingers. "You really need to stop thanking me; you're my girl, I would do anything for you."