Chapter 12

Mamie walked into the courtroom between her parents, grateful she hadn't come face to face with her soon to be former husband yet, and she was shocked when she saw all of her siblings except Louisa along with her niece and sister-in-law and godparents waiting for her in the courtroom. Seeing so many people who she loved, there to support her and show her their love, caused Mamie immediately burst into tears. "What are you all doing here?"

"Did you really think we wouldn't call them, too?" Don kissed his daughter's cheek before taking the stroller with his youngest children in it from Grace. "We're a family."

Meryl gave her daughter one more hug. "We're a unit; you are never alone, sweetheart."

"Even the babies are here." Mamie laughed as she bent down to kiss the youngest 3 Gummers and then she went to hug her siblings. "Gracie, you have a shoot."

Grace shook her head. "Nothing that couldn't be rescheduled, roomie. Why didn't you tell me?"

"When Uncle Larry called last night and said it was moved up I didn't want to bother anyone." Mamie then hugged her sister-in-law and then brother. "I didn't want to pull you all into my mess."

Henry shook his head as he gave his sister who, besides Suzie, was his first best friend. "HE created this; and I am so damn proud of you. You're my baby sister and I wouldn't be anywhere else."

"Me either." Suzie winked at her sister-in-law and reached for her hand. "I've been there, Mames; and believe me, your person is waiting for you. Who knows? Maybe you've known him your whole life like I did."

Liz came over to hug her goddaughter. "We are ALL here for you, sweetie girl. We love you."

"I'm so proud of them." Meryl whispered to her husband after looking in on the babies. "We've done good, Gummer."

Don winked at her as he kissed the top of her head. "We've done real good."

"And we have these two and Lily bringing up the rear." Meryl laughed and then started to look around.

Don immediately noticed his wife was looking around. "Do you want to go sit down? The kids are all busy with each other."

"No, baby; I'm okay." Meryl again looked down at their babies in the stroller; with everything going on with Mamie she just wanted to keep her husband and their family close, greatly missing Louisa. "Do you mind keeping the babies with you for a moment?"

Don shook his head as he moved the stroller back and forth; he often liked to take control of the stroller to give his wife a little break and because it was heavy with two little babies and all of their things. "Of course not; you okay?"

"I just need to use the restroom." Meryl squeezed his hand. "I'll be right back."

Henry noticed his mother walk out of the courtroom; and his father watching his mother walk out while he continued to move the stroller back and forth to keep the babies asleep. Henry walked over to his father and patted his back. "Mom doing okay?"

"She's hanging in there." Don said honestly. "I think she just needed to take a breath and probably splash some cold water on her face. I don't want you to worry about her."

Henry shook his head at his father. "You're our parents, I will always worry about you. You worry about her and I worry about you."

"Thanks, bud, I think we will be okay once we know Mames is." Don said honestly as he looked around. "Any Walker sightings?"

Henry took a deep breath and shook his head. "Not yet; but I'm on the lookout. He better not  try to get close to her or anyone else I care about."