Chapter 23

"Don!" Meryl gasped as they walked into a beautiful and intimate private room at St. Elmo's Steakhouse once they were left alone. There was a small table set up in the middle of the room set for 2. Soft music was playing from the mounted TV on the wall. Flowers and candles were EVERYWHERE. "Sweetheart, how on earth did you have time to set this up?"

Don went behind her and kissed her cheek, pressing his to hers as he did, and whispered in her ear while taking her coat off her and going to hang it up while she placed her phone on the table. "I have my ways."

"Seriously, baby." Meryl went over to him after he hung up their coats and placed her palm on his cheek. "How did you manage this to quickly?"

Don smirked as he pulled her to him. "One good thing about this city is that I grew up here; and I know many people including the now owner of one of Indianapolis' finest restaurants, so I could make things happen quickly tonight."

"You always make things happen." Meryl smiled broadly as she couldn't seem to resist her husband's lips. "I can't tell you how much this means to me; no, that's wrong. I can't tell you how much YOU mean to me."

Don smiled that he could already feel the tension leave his wife's body. "Well, you mean the WORLD to me. I know you were just here last month with the girls but I was able to pull some strings; and I wanted a private room for us and there weren't many options of private dining at the really nice restaurants."

"Yes, I was here last month." Meryl nodded as Don led her over to the table pulling her chair out for her. "However, I wasn't here with the most important person in the world to me."

Don looked around almost as if he was waiting for someone to come in. "Are you expecting someone else then?"

"Never, you goof." Meryl pulled his head down to hers so she could leave no doubt in his mind whom she was speaking of. She wanted to talk to Don about what she overheard at the house, and to assure him that she wasn't going ANYWHERE, but she decided that could wait a little bit. "You and only you."

***

"An Elmo Cola?" Meryl smiled as she held up the drink Don ordered for her as they enjoyed an appetizer of shrimp cocktail. "Are you trying to get me drunk?"

Don winked at her as he also drank from his own Elmo Cola. "I know how much you like them; but I also like how they made you so frisky."

"I'll let you in on a little secret." Meryl whispered in his ear as she went to sit on his lap. "It wasn't the Elmo Cola, it was you; and it still is."

Don smiled as he rubbed her leg with one hand and cupped her cheek with the other as he tenderly kissed her lips. "How's my girl?"

"Amazing, thanks to you." Meryl decided now would be a good time to focus on her husband. "However, I am worried."

Don shook his head as he ran his fingers through her hair. "Baby, I am not going to let ANYONE hurt you or the kids. You trust me, right?"

"With my heart, my soul, my life and our babies' lives." Meryl assured him with a kiss to lips. "I'm not worried about them or me...I am worried about you, really."

Don shook his head dismissively. "Darl, I'm fine; as long as you and the kids are okay then I am fine."

"Yeah, that's not going to fly with me." Meryl sauced making Don laugh. "Don Man, I have a confession to make; and I just hope you aren't mad at me."

Don shook his head as he stroked her cheekbone. "I seriously doubt that will happen; what is it, Darl?"

"Well, when I came out of the restroom back at the house, Maggie told me that you and Mike were in the kitchen so I headed that way to get you so we could leave." Meryl paused as Don's face softened with a smile and he nodded his head for her to continue. "I heard you and Mike talking; I pretty much came in at the beginning of the conversation. I am so glad you had him to talk to; I know I shouldn't have listened, I'm just worried about..."