Chapter 38

"NO." Don shook his head at his wife again. "She isn't welcome here; especially not around you, Brady and Mags."

Ross could tell that something had definitely happened between Don's mother and Meryl. "Would you like me to have her removed? She's with your father."

"Brad?" Meryl asked as Ross nodded. "Don Man, your dad wouldn't have come with her unless there was a really good reason. She did come all this way. We can't call the cops on her."

Don exhaled loudly. "Like hell I can't call the police on her and have her removed; Dad of course is welcome."

"Don." Meryl said softly as she placed her hand on his heart. "You have the biggest, most generous heart and spirit of anyone I know, open it to your mom. Do it for me, please."

Don sighed as he gently kissed her cheek. "The things I do for you, Gummer; okay. Ross, could you please make sure Meryl and the babies get upstairs safely while I go in and talk to my parents?"

"That won't be necessary, Ross." Meryl said, not taking her eyes off her husband. "You are not facing her without me; we're a team, Don."

Don shook his head vehemently. "Not after the fucking stunt she pulled; the things she said to you. She tried to take the babies from you."

"You won't allow ANY of that to happen, sweetheart." Meryl said calmly; hating that he got so upset because of his mother. "We are in this together."

Don nodded as he kissed her hand and turned to Ross. "Thank you so much for taking care of this, Ross; we will go in and see why they're here."

"Of course." Ross nodded as he saw Don push the stroller towards the office, taking Meryl's hand in his free one. "Whatever I can do to help."

Meryl pulled Don's head down to hers when they came to a stop outside the office, to tenderly kiss her husband's lips. "I love you."

"I love you, baby, always; it's showtime." Don took a deep breath as they walked in. "Mother." Don very coldly greeted his mother. "Hey, Dad."

Brad got up to hug his son and daughter-in-law. "Hi, son; hey, M." Brad said hugging them both. "I am just here so your mother didn't travel alone; I convinced her NOT to bother you on your vacation. I'm not going to be a part of the conversation."

"I understand." Don smiled at his father; knowing it was his way of saying he didn't condone the way Jane acted. "Mom, what are you doing here?"

Jane got up to hug Don, but he turned away. "It's good to see you, Donny; hello, Meryl."

"Jane." Meryl tried to smile; but it was hard for her. "What is this about?"

Jane's heart hurt at how cold her son was towards her. "I wanted to talk to you both; and didn't want to do it on the phone. It's very important. I want you all in my life, our life."

"Mother, you KNOW where I stand." Don said strongly. "Why on earth would I believe you? Why is THIS time any different than all the other times?"

Brad put his hand on Don's shoulder. "This is the only time I am going to interject; I wouldn't have let her come, come with her, if I didn't truly believe she meant it. BELIEVE ME."

"He's right, baby." Meryl said gently as she placed her hand on his heart again, whispering in his ear. "Best and most generous heart I know."

Don looked at his wife and then into the stroller where the babies were sleeping. "Okay; but not here. I want us to be able to shelter the babies from this; and get them in their cribs. Meryl can't have stress right now because we just came from the doctor and she STILL has a severe concussion; so I won't allow this to take a bad turn. We'll meet you upstairs in 20 minutes. We just need a little time to get settled."